Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema

Trouble using HG UQ with my 1.0 netless and clip-on quilt hooks

Today I received my new Dutchware 1.0 hexon netless hammock, with 4 Dutchware clip-on quilt hooks and a Hammock Gear Econ 20 (my first underquilt ever!)

I hung it up (nothing load bearing so I can't sit in it) to see how it would work. The hammock doesn't match up well with the sides of the UQ (it slides into the middle). I thought the clip-on quilt hooks would fix this, but they absolutely do not grip the seam on the 1.0 hexon fabric AT ALL. I tried different orientations and it just slips right out - as if the hooks were never designed to hold onto this fabric.

Frankly, I'm feeling frustrated and wondering if I should have simply bought the chameleon (not to mention the trouble that this UQ+bugnet+hammock might give me together at night), but it's too late now.

So what's the deal with these hooks? Do I simply deal with the hammock within the quilt by just carefully spreading it each time before I sit down? Should I bother getting some other kind of quilt hook? Am I doing something pants-on-head stupid? Thanks!

Picture with bonus cat:
    0933444f-c952-4146-864e-55b4aaca1b33.jpg
    Last edited by QFT; 06-23-2017 at 10:41.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    You're doing something wrong.

watch this: starting at 1:03
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCxd4BhcSiQ

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    I actually watched that before even taking the hooks out of their packaging. If I'm doing something different than Dutch, I can't easily tell from the video.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuban Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incub./Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I started out with a Dutch Netless hammock and Hammock Gear UQ too. I also ordered the quilt hooks, both plastic clip on, and aluminum sew on (though I never had the skill or the guts to try and install those)

I couldn't make the plastic ones work for me either. I even tried them like Dutch suggests to hold the suspension lines together at each end.

What worked for me best, was a video Shug did on adjusting underquilts. Once I understood the primary and secondary suspension and how it all works, the UQ performs perfectly without quilt hooks. I wish Hammock Gear would post a clear video and instructions on their site, or at least link to Shug's video.

I'm laying in that Netless hammock right now patiently waiting for my Chameleon to be delivered tomorrow. I'm curious how well the quilt hook system will work with that hammock, but my current system performs perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    Why do you even bother to use them? You say its your first set-up, so I think you dont even have a reason to use them. Try to use the quilt without the hooks first

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuban Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incub./Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Here's the link to Shug's video.
    https://youtu.be/xrGfSgt1w2E

Also, before getting into my hammock, I drape the hammock sides over the UQ sides to make sure my butt lands inside while getting in. Only takes a second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have used my HG quilts without quilt hooks and they worked just fine. Dial in your underquilt first. And if you have problems with your underquilt slipping and you can't fix it, get some sew-on quilt hooks.

Before my Chameleon arrived I was using a Dutch Hexon 1.0 with a HG quilt. I did what others suggest here, I set it up without the hooks, adjusted according to Shug's suggestions in his video, and then personally found I needed a quilt hook at the foot end only to keep it snug.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    The OP has asked for help on how to keep his Dutch quilt hooks from slipping off his hammock. You are all telling him to just not use quilt hooks. How is that helpful to someone that wants to see his product (quilt hooks) perform as advertised?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kardinal_emilus View Post
    Why do you even bother to use them? You say its your first set-up, so I think you dont even have a reason to use them. Try to use the quilt without the hooks first
    Exactly. I'm a big fan of things "working like they should out of the box". The UQ should work fine on just about any hammock simply by adjusting the suspension. Looking at the photo, I'm guessing the primary suspension isn't tight enough. You want the UQ to raise the hammock a good deal before you even get in it.

I could be wrong, but I always saw hooks and any other addons as solutions to a problem. A problem that couldn't be fixed for some reason using the more common solutions. I understand Kroma's statement above, but we're just trying to help get the OP comfortable the simplest way.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast