Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Convince me why I need a Chameleon.

Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I currently have a double layer 1.7 Warbonnet Blackbird XLC with a Wookie under quilt and a Warbonnet Cloudburst tarp. It is all connected and staked out with Dutch Bling, which I love.

I am happy with my setup and sleep comfortably. However, the Dutch Chameleon us intriguing to me. So.....convince me why I should sell all of my current Warbonnet stuff and buy a Chameleon setup.

"Thanks everybody." 😂

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I would not make an effort to convince you as to why you would need a Chameleon, however you may want one. I have a number of different hammocks, WBBB, Smurf stuff, Claytors, Dutch, etc. I recently got the Chameleon mainly to try the side by side with my wife. Having said that, I appreciate several features. I like the openness of the design. I like to see out. I like the peak shelves and most importantly I like the lie. I am not selling anything because I think I need it. I like to have options, the Chameleon is just another.

So, if you want to enjoy yet another great hammock consider it. Do you need it? That is a question only you can answer. Want it, absolutely.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If you are happy with your setup then there's really no reason to change, as they say HYOH. If you have the funds and like to try different hammocks then by all means jump on the band wagon. I as hoping this would be the gathered end that I loved so much that I would carry it over my Warbonnet Ridgerunner and it wasn't. It's comfortable but not as comfortable to me as my bridge so I have another gathered end in my collection to choose if needed.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood

First of all, welcome to HF. I don't own a Chameleon, but I do have about 20 hammocks. I just like trying different setups. It's a fairly inexpensive hobby once you have the big stuff out of the way (pack, tarps and quilts).
    If you are sleeping well in your XLC, you could just leave well enough alone.
    If you are like a lot of us on here, you might end up trying several hammocks just to see what's out there.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps

If you get good sleep in your current setup why do you want to be convinced to change? At the end of the day isn't it about comfort? Of course if you, like most of us here love trying out all the latest gear then you'll buy one anyway, convincing or not.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Foxpoop nailed it. I also like trying new things because you never know what you're missing. I don't have a chameleon, but I feel like one of the best things I've done was to simplify things in general. Regarding the hammock, a simple gathered end is great when you don't need bug protection. And it can be done on the cheap...maybe $60 or so and you're done.

Keep the Warbonnet for when you need it. Use the plain jane gathered end hammock any other time. Just an idea!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    If you've got all that Warbonnet stuff and either already have or don't want a winter top cover, you definitely do not "need" a Chameleon. You've already made a sizeable investment in that vendor's system. Just stick with what you've got. The only thing you can't do that you can in a Chameleon is enter/exit from your "shelf side" and position the zippers where you prefer. (Also, your lay direction is fixed if you ever want to switch or loan/give/sell the hammock to someone who sleeps the other way.) But if you're happy with what you have, skip the Chameleon and help keep the wait times down.

However, if you decide you want a second hammock that does what your XLC does with even more universality, you might consider giving the Chameleon a second look.

(For the record, I am a very satisfied Warbonnet Blackbird XLC owner, but with its minor limitations and narrow range of options, I doubt I'll ever pick up another one, whereas I already have more than one Chameleon in my family...)
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 06-26-2017 at 16:43.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    I mean.... you DON'T need to. Period. Especially if you're happy with what you have! This is a very hyped hammock because we love Dutchware and love seeing a quality "system" on the marketplace.

However, there are nice things about the Chameleon - if you're a backpacker, it's lighter than your Warbonnet. It's also compatible with your suspension and your tarp (not sure about the UQ), so you could still use those if you prefer. I don't think you can switch the lay in the BB like you can the Chameleon either. And the zipper on the Chameleon is likely more convenient.

Hammocks are all about what works for you. If you love your BB, I wouldn't advise selling it, period. If you're looking to lighten your load and have the cash, I'd suggest picking up the Chameleon body and seeing how you like it. You can go from there.

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    If you are happy with your setup then there's really no reason to change, as they say HYOH. If you have the funds and like to try different hammocks then by all means jump on the band wagon. I as hoping this would be the gathered end that I loved so much that I would carry it over my Warbonnet Ridgerunner and it wasn't. It's comfortable but not as comfortable to me as my bridge so I have another gathered end in my collection to choose if needed.
    Same here, I have tried a half dozen different GEs and the RR is still on top. Have two now, one regular, and one netless in my spindrift. Spent the night in my Chameleon last W/E and it was okay, definitely going to play around more in it.

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    You are going to have a tough time right now trying get others to add one more to the wait list, just saying. IF you really want to experience something different then get a RidgeRunner.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast