GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images

Lightweight 3,000 lbs breaking strenght webbing ?

What would it be, and ideally one good for knots ?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Dutch has a new Dyneema Blue webbing with black racing stripes. It is good with knots--so far, I tried it once last weekend. It is good for 1500 pounds. Can you use that? Or can you double it up?
    Maybe tie a Zeppelin bend or a slipped Zeppelin bend to join two lengths of webbing. That knot, not likely to slip or jam. Maybe climbers knots would make good loops--I don't know if they will jam.
    There might be some rescue services that have higher dyneema than Dutch. And you can contact Dutch and ask him about his suppliers, who might have dyneema webbing in 3000 pound test. That dyneema is really light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Yes, I am looking at some lighter suspension option for a tentsile tent.

I was considering using some 4 mm single braid Vectran rope (5/32" - breaking strenght : 3,200 lbs - 3,6g / foot) and a trucker's hitch with a SMC descending ring (11g, breaking strenght : 3000 lbs) in the loop so that I do not damage the rope too much.
    I am looking for some light tree huggers to go with this. Dutch has some polyester ones rated at 3,000 lbs, but they weight more than 20 g / foot !

All in all, I do not know if it will work, especially if I will be able to get enough tension with the Trucker's hitch to emulate the ratchet that is normally used, and if a double half hitch will hold on the descending ring.

What do you recommend, Phantom ?

These are the products :

Tent ; Rope ; SMC descending ring
    Last edited by Rouskof; 06-27-2017 at 10:44.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouskof View Post
    Yes, I am looking at some lighter suspension option for a tentsile tent.
    Those tents put incredible forces on the trees and suspension, because the angle of dangle is so extremely small. 1,500 lb straps are recommended minimum for single-person hammocks hanging at at least 30 degrees. Big, big difference. But perhaps you know that. I'm not even sure 3,000 lb straps are good enough for a tentsile tent.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I'm not even sure 3,000 lb straps are good enough for a tentsile tent.
    Well, their stock ratchet for this tent is specified simply as "1,2 tons". I suppose it is the breaking strenght, and it translates as 2,400 lbs. So I assume a 3,000 lbs suspension will be fine.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Well, their stock ratchet for this tent is specified simply as "1,2 tons". I suppose it is the breaking strength...
    Or it may well be the 'working load' rating, indicating a considerably higher breaking strength.

The SMC descending ring you selected is hollow (rolled from flat stock) and not intended for the type of use you are proposing. They will elongate well before reaching the breaking strength. I strongly suggest using a rated solid aluminum or steel ring made for rigging such as...http://www.iscwales.com/Products/Sea...minium-Ring/0/

SMC descender ring...

IMG_3358cropped (Medium).jpg
    Last edited by gmcttr; 06-27-2017 at 09:55.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Or it may well be the 'working load' rating, indicating a considerably higher breaking strength.

The SMC descending ring you selected is hollow (rolled from flat stock) and not intended for the type of use you are proposing. They will elongate well before reaching the breaking strength. I strongly suggest using a rated solid aluminum or steel ring made for rigging such as...http://www.iscwales.com/Products/Sea...minium-Ring/0/

SMC descender ring...

IMG_3358cropped (Medium).jpg
    Thanks for the info. I hope I will find some lighter rings. What's the problem if they elongate, I suppose once they elongate once, they are good to go ? Don't know about the ratchet, I asked the company.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ...What's the problem if they elongate, I suppose once they elongate once, they are good to go ?...
    Umm...NO! it means they have been overstressed and severely weakened.

Here's an extreme example (watch the entire video as solid rings are shown toward the end)...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld99duhaPDw

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Lightweight 3,000 lbs breaking strenght webbing ?

Rouskof, you are off to a flying start. That's some tough rope--for end loops eye splice with locked brummels and long buries. Or you might get away with alpine butterfly loops, for end loops and anywhere you need a loop for truckers hitch. If you have a couple loops so you can make two or three passes (like a pulley system) you can cinch it tighter--I would not go more than two or three passes because of friction at rope loops--the friction will impede tightening.
    gmcttr is right, check out the rings he posted.
    You can insert a strong smooth toggle into alpine butterfly loop (inside the knot) and then tighten. To untie after heavy loading--tap toggle out of knot with mallet--now knot unties easily
    Tie secure knots with some back up and long tails in case they slip a bit when loaded.
    The real test will be--getting a girl interested in giving your rig a test flight...if she feels safe...with a hint of excitement...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Umm...NO! it means they have been overstressed and severely weakened.

Here's an extreme example (watch the entire video as solid rings are shown toward the end)...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld99duhaPDw
    Yes, but the ring did not break.
    Quoting whoopieslings.com : 'SMC engineers advise that the descending rings can elongate somewhat at loads of approximately 800 pounds. They will not fail before the rated load (3000 lbs) but they can elongate. Quoting SMC, "D-Rings deform under load by design. They change to an oval shape with straight sides. This is where their strength comes from." '

@Phantom : thanks for the tips. I will try playing with that ! One concern is how to lock into place the trucker's hitch without letting the tension go. I saw some videos where they recommend making two turns inside the loop before tightening, but I found that doesn't work very well, it impedes tightening a lot. And I have no idea how that will work or not with a ring instead of just the loop.
    Last edited by Rouskof; 06-28-2017 at 04:38.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast