Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iowa

Iowa

Tried hanging at Wilson Island SRA outside Missouri Valley IA this weekend. Got everything set up, and then the DNR guy comes buy. Tells me hammocks aren't allowed in Iowa state parks.

This is the first I've heard of that, so I asked him what rule it was prohibited under. Guy took about 15 minutes looking through 3 different books. Comes up with a rule about destroying trees. Of course, I explain to him that my tree straps were perfectly safe for trees. No dice. He claims that he's been instructed that this regulation is interpreted to ban hammocks.

Thankfully, I had my tent in the car so all was not lost. But I guess I'm sticking to the WMAs in the future. Has anyone else run into this ridiculousness?

IIRC, this was the regulation he quoted:

http://law.justia.com/codes/iowa/201...ction-461a.35/

461A.35 Prohibited destructive acts.

1. It shall be unlawful for any person to use, enjoy the privileges of, destroy, injure, or deface plant life, trees, buildings, or other natural or material property, or to construct or operate for private or commercial purposes any structure, or to remove any plant life, trees, buildings, sand, gravel, ice, earth, stone, wood, or other natural material, or to operate vehicles, within the boundaries of any state park, preserve, or stream or any other lands or waters under the jurisdiction of the commission for any purpose whatsoever, except upon the terms, conditions, limitations, and restrictions as set forth by the commission.
    I was pretty **** close to taking the citation and making them prove it in court.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    That's a bummer. State parks are about to go on my last resort list. I was camping at one in Florida last weekend and the rulew summary on the car hangtag said: "don't hang anything from trees." I went to the check-in station and explained I had intended to camp in my hammock. The person asked if I used straps, and I said I had 2 inch straps to protect the trees. He said that was fine. The no hanging thing was for people who tried to tie ropes and lanterns to the trees. It's too easy just to ban everything.

I've had similar experiences in Alabama and Georgia state parks.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Wow. Looks like the DNR person made a pretty loose interpretation of the "rules".

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    It's not going to get any better. More and more traffic in state parks will put a strain on the natural resources and the knee jerk reaction of today's working force is to SHUT IT DOWN for everyone. Welcome to the year 2017 and beyond.

Jay Cooke state park in Minnesota enforces the use of tree straps for hanging of any kind, be it hammock, tarp, clothes line, etc. However, they're very friendly about it and will even lend you state-issued 2"straps at no cost. I was happy to oblige. Say what you will, but I am a fan of state parks. I find them to be less crowded and less expensive compared to national parks and private campgrounds. Some of my best camping memories were made at state parks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by -Sawg View Post
    Jay Cooke state park in Minnesota enforces the use of tree straps for hanging of any kind, be it hammock, tarp, clothes line, etc. However, they're very friendly about it and will even lend you state-issued 2"straps at no cost. I was happy to oblige. Say what you will, but I am a fan of state parks. I find them to be less crowded and less expensive compared to national parks and private campgrounds. Some of my best camping memories were made at state parks.
    Good for Cooke state park. You guys should send letters to these guys and commend them on a logica, non knee jerk, well thought out decision. This is a fleeting thought process.

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps

Re- hammocks in Ia. Parks

This came up last summer. I Drove down to Des Moines and had a chat with the X O of Iowa parks dept. Linked is her reply. Hopefully the last line says it all.Hammock Forums.pdf

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well done. I've been guilty of writing bans off as being too easy for land managers to say no. We really need to just have these kinds of conversations. When you get right down to it, they probably have the goal of wanting as many enthusiasts as possible to have a great outdoor experience.

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Well, (bleep) it all! Ya gotta really work at getting that readable. Sorry, folks. I plead computer ignert!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast