WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Borden Creek Trail in the Sipsey

Anyone hiked the South side of Borden Creek Trail and know if it's easily doable? I was thinking about hiking the West side down to 209 and the South side back up but heard it was very difficult due to a lot of trees blown down and wondered if that was still the case.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MississipVol View Post
    Anyone hiked the South side of Borden Creek Trail and know if it's easily doable? I was thinking about hiking the West side down to 209 and the South side back up but heard it was very difficult due to a lot of trees blown down and wondered if that was still the case.

I'm a bit confused... Borden Creek runs roughly North and South. Both sides (east and west sides) are hiked easily although west Borden is a bit more difficult. The South side of 209, not so much fun

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bad Biscuit; 06-27-2017 at 21:34.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    Double post

Last edited by Bad Biscuit; 06-27-2017 at 21:37.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by jnunniv View Post
    I'm a bit confused... Borden Creek runs roughly North and South. Both sides (east and west sides) are hiked easily although west Borden is a bit more difficult. The South side of 209, not so much fun

I meant the west side as being the one that I heard was really difficult to hike (because of downed trees) and that I should stick to an out and back on the east side as opposed to crossing over the creek and going back north on the west side. Does that make sense? Sorry, I didn't type it too clearly earlier.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MississipVol View Post
    I meant the west side as being the one that I heard was really difficult to hike (because of downed trees) and that I should stick to an out and back on the east side as opposed to crossing over the creek and going back north on the west side. Does that make sense? Sorry, I didn't type it too clearly earlier.
    West side is more difficult since it is not maintained but totally doable with a pack. I've done it several times.

DISCLAIMER: My idea of really difficult may be different from yours. There are some downed trees but by now trails have been trod around all but the newest obstacles. I wouldn't classify it as "really difficult" to anyone except the most novice hiker.

Last edited by Bad Biscuit; 06-27-2017 at 22:11.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I did both sides back in the very early spring and I found both sides to be easy. There are a few blow downs on the west side but nothing that makes it a hard hike at all. I would rate both sides as an easy hike. The east side can be a bit tricky if the water is up as there's one ditch crossing about 3/4 of mile north of the 200/209 intersection that can be hard to cross in wet weather. The small cave can be a bit muddy as well as there's a fall at the exit on the east side as well. When are you planning on doing this hike? I do not go to the Sipsey in the warmer months as many of the trail over grow and I would imagine that the west side would be this way this time of year.

Hammock
    DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

It is totally doable in dry weather. We have crossed the bridge and hiked down Borden Creek to 209 and Fall Creek when the Borden level was way too high to cross.

The amount of mud when wet can make the trail a bit difficult in areas, but still achievable with a pack (and a dog). I once saw a guy arrive at the trailhead in a rain suit and he was covered in mud. He slid down one of the higher creek banks that was nothing more than a mud slide.
    Last edited by MissileMan; 06-28-2017 at 22:40.

• + New Posts