Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    I have several 3/4 length Underquilt's...including 2 HG Phoenix. I don't use a pad at all. My TQ footbox is insulated and I have been down to high 30's without cold feet. If it's cold enough to use a pad for my feet, I'd bring a full length UQ.
    What Kroma said....

Sent from somewhere east of Montauk
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I use a piece of Reflectix in the WBBB 1.1DL.Works great.But if it were really cold(which for me is below 30F) then I would be packing the full length JRB Winter Nest.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and with my Hammock Gear 20 degree Phoenix 3/4 underquilt and 20 degree Burrow top quilt, I can take it down into the upper teens. And it makes a great seat backpacking.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cpresoz View Post
    ^ ^ ^ This ^ ^ ^ with my 3 season Yeti and my down vest under my legs. Good down to 20.

I also have the Dutch pad and the AHE pad. Use them with temps in the 30s and 40s. The Thermarest pad insulates better than the others and stays put better than the others.

I'll often not use a pad above 60 degrees but find I miss the cushioning under my heels.

Very clear from the varied responses that this is a personal issue. If you have cold feet like I do, you'll want something.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Top/Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Thanks guys for all of the responses! I guess I might just have to get a couple different options and see what is best for me this winter! Definitely going to try the dutch pad. That thing looks very cool!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    One other option... I use a down pillow under my feet in cold weather, and sometimes just cool weather. Normally a pad is fine and is a lighter, more multi-use item, but the pillow surrounds the bottom of the foot with down. This warms my foot as well as a down bootie and allows the heat to then rise off my foot and provide what the TQ needs to better insulate the foot area.

Keep in mind that down traps heat to insulate more efficiently. Feet (and hands) are the body's first line of defense in conserving heat, and when in that mode, they are not giving off much heat for the down to trap. I figured this was why I was still cold with both full length UQs and stout sewn footbox TQs where the rating should've been keeping me warm - as they were in all other areas.

I didn't start using it for insulation, though. I had always had issues with getting numb heels with either pads or the hammock itself when using a full UQ. I've also always had issues with cold feet and would often wear booties in just relatively cool weather. This particular pillow was something I bought for ground use a while back and thought I'd try it under my feet to alleviate the numbness, and was surprised to see just how well it worked for keeping my feet warm. I will say its of stout fill such that I never get cold heels due to compression. My guess is with a lot of lighter down pillows that might not be the case unless using in conjunction with a pad or full-length UQ.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps
    I took an old ridgerest pad, cut it into two pieces, and rounded the corners (use scissors). As folks have mentioned, you may not need this until temps go down towards freezing.

It is a useful backup (though minimalist) for ground sleeping and I have used it for such on a couple of occasions when I was above timberline on a backpack and there were no trees. It is very light.

It is just a torso length pad used on the ground, but surprisingly that is all you really need once you adopt somewhat of a spartan attitude.

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    My first pad was an AHE one I got with the purchase of my Jarbidge. After a few seasons I had a few tears in the thinner foam of the AHE pad, so I cut a new one with a cheap EMS foam pad (similar to the walmart blue pad). The pad I cut out works much better and it works to a lower temp. Since it's a bit stiffer I find I don't fight the pad as much as it doesn't fold up in the footbox. I did just get a dutch sit pad that I'm looking forward to try due to it's weight.

Hammock
    HH backpacker
    Tarp
    still looking
    Insulation
    SS
    Suspension
    standard
    I'll layout my raincoat and stuff what ever I have under my feet--usually my butt pad

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12