DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    In the summer months when I'm using a sock style bug net I typically leave my UQ on my hammock and stuff the hammock, net, and UQ into a large compression sack and put my top quilt and pillow in the same bag but I put them in first, separate from the other mess. Then I'm compress it all down into a brick that will fit inside my backpack with relative ease.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Im a rammerjammer without a stuff sack. Just me😄

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
    Hash browns and bacon strips , I like the way you lick your lips

I hate the extra time to stuff things into a stuff sack. And things fit into the pack much better if you just stuff everything into it. I do use a compactor bag inside the pack for the things I don't want to get wet. The tarp rides either outside the pack if it is wet or in the pack but outside the compactor bag of it is dry. The tarp is inside of a diy snakeskin which makes it much easier to deploy and take down.

Hammock
    Dutch Hex 2.4 Dbl
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    Down20bag Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopie & Webbing
    Images
    Generally use stuff sacks to keep collections of small things together.... First aid, food, toilet kit, clothes etc. I just stuff the biggies to keep dry (down, hammock) in the bottom Of The compactor bag and this has worked for me

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I use a cuben dry pack sac from Z-packs, for my quilts and hammock, at the bottom of pack.
    I use the cuben stuff sack from my tarp for my clothes bag, if raining it to goes in the above sac.
    I Use a cuben bear bag kit from Z-packs, for food and hygiene.
    I use a cuben small sack for my s#it kit. Nothing worse that wet TP when you need it.
    and my tarp is in cuben skins.
    water kit, lines, and cook kit along with the pack take a hit, when it rains. Everything stays dry.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    With two 10° quilts there is no way I would be able to get by without using the stuff sacks...they just take up too much room in my ZPacks Arc Haul. I pack around them with and fill in the gaps with my baselayers and extra clothes etc to be space-efficient.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    No empirical evidence but it seems when I pack everything in their assigned stuff sacks they take up less space in the pack. However, I've tried both the "lazy slug tube" setup with my hammock/TQ/UQ/Pillow in there and it's super fast. The problem is that with the big tube it becomes hard to compress and takes up tons of room. Recently, I've started doing the plain old "cram it into the compactor bag" and that works OK. I find it hard though to get the whole mess of squirming nylon jammed into the compactor bag while inside the pack. I've tried jamming everything into the bag first then squishing out the air and trying to get that into the pack. It turned into kind of a wrestling match.

Overall I think I like having my items in separate stuff sacks. That way if I do have a pack leak or some kind of failure I will hopefully only have one wet item instead of everything getting damp (all my eggs in one basket??).

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    With two 10° quilts there is no way I would be able to get by without using the stuff sacks...they just take up too much room in my ZPacks Arc Haul. I pack around them with and fill in the gaps with my baselayers and extra clothes etc to be space-efficient.
    Yeah there's always something in your pack you can use to fill the gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    No empirical evidence but it seems when I pack everything in their assigned stuff sacks they take up less space in the pack. However, I've tried both the "lazy slug tube" setup with my hammock/TQ/UQ/Pillow in there and it's super fast. The problem is that with the big tube it becomes hard to compress and takes up tons of room. Recently, I've started doing the plain old "cram it into the compactor bag" and that works OK. I find it hard though to get the whole mess of squirming nylon jammed into the compactor bag while inside the pack. I've tried jamming everything into the bag first then squishing out the air and trying to get that into the pack. It turned into kind of a wrestling match.
    There's no doubt you can pack smaller when using the stuff sacks. Doing so let's you get all that down "contained" or under control before putting into your pack. I can get close with a pack liner, but it's never quite the same. Lately I've switched to stuffing my larger quilt (almost always the UQ) in its separate sack, then stuffing the top quilt around that loosely in the pack liner. Sort of the best of both worlds.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I use a Cuben Fiber pack liner, quilts roam free in the bottom with small cothes bag and hammock on top. Separate Cuben fiber food bag, Cook kit and tarp ride on top, outside pack liner. Stuff sacks, in my experience, are just a way to pack too much stuff.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    I've been on the AT since March 12th, and abandoned my stuff sacks after the first week. No real reason at first, it wasn't like they caused a problem...more like why stuff it into a sack then stuff the sack into a pack

I just cram them into the bottom of my pack liner with my little down pillow then cram my hammock (also no sack, rolled up) down on top.

No issue and nothing has ever gotten wet or given me cause to be cranky

Well, ok, the AT gives you plenty of reasons to be cranky, but you know what I mean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How's your AT trip progressing? Hope you are healthy and having a great time.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast