Wash a synthetic sleeping bag?

So the boys just returned from summer camp and now the Mountain Hardwear ultralamina synthetic sleeping bags are RIPE.

1. I have a top loading very large HE washing machine with no agitator. Any problems washing in that on delicate?

2. What soap? Everywhere I look (MH website etc) says "mild non-detergent powder soap". What is that? Then they will go one to suggest Nikwax or ReviveX....neither of which are powder.

If you don't help me I am just going to throw it in the washer on delicate with powdered Gain (kidding)!!!!

I also have a large dryer that I am planning on using on the coolest setting.

What are your thoughts?

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by patermagnus View Post
    So the boys just returned from summer camp and now the Mountain Hardwear ultralamina synthetic sleeping bags are RIPE.

1. I have a top loading very large HE washing machine with no agitator. Any problems washing in that on delicate?

2. What soap? Everywhere I look (MH website etc) says "mild non-detergent powder soap". What is that? Then they will go one to suggest Nikwax or ReviveX....neither of which are powder.

If you don't help me I am just going to throw it in the washer on delicate with powdered Gain (kidding)!!!!

I also have a large dryer that I am planning on using on the coolest setting.

What are your thoughts?
    I have the Army Sleep System, which is synthetic, and I wash it in the same type washer (Calypso I think). I just use normal HE All liquid, but at a lower than normal amount, and haven't had any problems with it at all. Same with drying, just use low or medium temp.

Hammock
    tttm
    Tarp
    dd
    Insulation
    snug pak uq
    Suspension
    self made
    Images
    what you write seems fine. but i would not use a dryer.

also, with each wash the insolation capacity goes down a bit. dont wash too often.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I bought a bottle of "Sport Wash" in the camping section of WalMart several years ago. I think it's actually made for hunting clothes to get rid of the "human" smell and it doesn't have the "optical brighteners" of regular laundry detergent. I've used it a couple of times for washing my synthetic and down insulation and it worked great. Normally though, I just toss the synthetic stuff in with my normal He detergent. The wife gets stuff for the kids with no perfumes or dyes and it seems to be just fine. Synthetic is really pretty tough stuff so long as you don't get it hot. Heat is the enemy and breaks down the loft.

I'd wash it twice on gentle, maybe let it soak for a good long while before the first cycle and run it through an extra rinse. I often have to use Oxi-Clean to kill the funk from my gym clothes and hiking apparel. Good luck.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    I wash my insulation on bulky, cool temp, with oxiclean. Haven't had a problem yet. I do put it in the dryer but with no heat and a few tennis balls. If two time through doesn't dry it out, I hang it in the sun if possible
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    Clark NX-150
    Tarp
    Clark
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch bkl & whoopi
    I would also suggest putting them in the garage for a few days- as usual and inside out-hung from a hanger. They should have hooks just for this. You would be surprised how much of the smell comes out this way.

• + New Posts