Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch bling

Hello from Chattanooga, TN - and thanks to posting members!

Introductory post after a recently joining HammockForums.

I am new to hammocking and, with regrets, I have spent very little time enjoying the great outdoors for many years bygone.

I decided earlier this year that I desperately needed to get active (overweight and out-of-shape) and walking was my first step toward my goal.
    While not a photographer, I enjoy photography and used the combination of the two interests (walking / photography) to get me started toward being active.

I had received a basic hammock as a Christmas gift and decided to throw it in my camera bag when I went out for my walks. On one walk, I stopped alongside a creek, took a few pictures, and hung the hammock. I was hooked!

A couple months later and after watching a lot of YouTube videos by a guy named "Shug" (perhaps you have heard of him ) I am gearing up toward my first solo / overnight hike.

Shug had mentioned this forum and I quickly tuned in. And that is where the "thanks to the posting members" is due - I have learned a lot in a short time and I am sure I have saved some money / regrets by reviewing the posts here in the forum about gear that works and does not work. Hearing reviews, thoughts, and suggestions from people who have actually tried and tested gear in the real world (vs those who have "unboxing" experience) is the kind of help that I needed and was looking for in order to make some educated choices.

So thanks again.

I hope one day I can return the favor and pass it on.

Quote Originally Posted by mirrorslap View Post
    Hearing reviews, thoughts, and suggestions from people who have actually tried and tested gear in the real world (vs those who have "unboxing" experience) is the kind of help that I needed and was looking for in order to make some educated choices...
    Indeed, that real world experience is why I started hanging around here too, and why I've come to prefer equipment made by the vendors who actually eat their own dog food, as the saying goes, who use their own stuff.

Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Welcome to the forums! Chattanooga is a great place to be for access to the backcountry. Where are you planning to go for your first solo/overnight hike?

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Welcome from Northern Arkansas! I began camping a long time ago and switched to hammocks, but what fueled this switch was my health. A year ago I was 254 lbs (I'm 5'8") taking 3 blood pressure meds, and was told I needed to take meds for diabetes. I now weigh 182, and take no meds of any kind. I walk/run daily, and am about to log my 1000th mile since August last year. Feel better than I have in years. The motivation to be able to hike/backpack/camp and see this beautiful creation around us got me up off my butt and moving! It's a lot of work, and hard at times, but well worth the effort! Best of luck on your journeys, both in the wild, and with your health!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hello from Alabama! This is a great community. Good luck on your first solo!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Welcome, from the same backwoods hood. Chattanooga is a great place to live.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Welcome to Hammock Forums (officially ) Mirroslap. I just passed through Chattanooga (one of my favorite cites to visit) yesterday on the way back from a mini vacation in the Smokies. Got to hike two days but they were wet ones but at least it's cool up around the Clingmans dome area. Let us know if you have any specific questions and again welcome.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch bling
    Quote Originally Posted by hewittdallas View Post
    Where are you planning to go for your first solo/overnight hike?
    I am looking at either a short section (4-8 miles round trip) of the Cumberland Trail (CT) somewhere between Chattanooga and Soddy Daisy or looking at staying overnight somewhere in Prentice Cooper State Forest.

I am still a little uncertain how this works when it comes to setting up camp. I'm not sure if camping is allowed only in designated camp sites / areas or can you set up camp where ever you decide is suitable location. Once I figure that out it will help me narrow down my selection.

thx

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    ...but what fueled this switch was my health. A year ago I was 254 lbs (I'm 5'8") taking 3 blood pressure meds, and was told I needed to take meds for diabetes. I now weigh 182, and take no meds of any kind. I walk/run daily, and am about to log my 1000th mile since August last year. Feel better than I have in years...
    Thanks for sharing. My initial motivation earlier this year was just to get mobile, out and about, do something physical that would counter the weight gain and declining health from the lack of the aforementioned.

Walking seemed to be the right place to start for the condition that I was in health wise (simply overweight and out-of-shape). I knew I wanted more than walking on a tread mill or in a gym so outdoors was the way to go for me. Bringing the camera along made it a bit more interesting as well.

I started off just a casual walk under 1 mile. Then 1 mile was easy. Now just getting up to knocking out 2 miles and feeling just fine afterwards.

I have no doubt that if I keep this up I will follow your course of weight loss and feeling so much better. By adding in hammocking, I believe it is going to make the motivation go through the roof. I can't wait to hit the trail.

Thanks again for your comment.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    ORM TQ & WB UQ
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Hey there and welcome to Hammock Forums.
    Congrats on your out and about conditioning.
    Hope you hit the trail soon.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast