Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk & ENO doubles
    Suspension
    JRB straptriglide
    Images
    Hey everyone I have a question..being a newbee and such...I was going to make some hammocks along the line of what I posted early using Risk's $9 hammock method. I have not ventured out yet to get material and the GF informs me that our local Wally Marts no longer have a fabric dept. I was wondering if using sheets (cotton/poly) blend would make a good hammock for the kids?? I searched online and have seen where people have been doing this. I think I found sound videos on you tube. I know sheets can be strong, I remember when we were kids we use them as a tarp to toss us young ones in the air...what are you're alls thougts.
    Thanks
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
    George Bernard Shaw

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracadruid View Post
    ... I was wondering if using sheets (cotton/poly) blend would make a good hammock for the kids?? ...
    I haven't used that material myself, but I'm pretty sure sheets would do fine. You could always sacrifice an old one from your linen closet and give it a trial run.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Gracadruid, wait a little bit...we have something in the works.
    will be posting soon...
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Gargoyle-

I received an email subscription with your message about a possible "group" purchase with OWF, but it does not show up in the forums when clicking the link...

I must say I think Paul's 9 ladies will get it done alot faster than the kids at the School for the Deaf, but we will take whatever fabric there. Maybe well end up with enough to get two rolls of 100'!

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Frawg, what size did you make them?

Thing1 and I are just about to cut and sew 60" wide fabric... should they be 6' long, or 7' long?
    Just noticed this, MacEntyre - sorry you had to PM me to get my attention! . Glad it's sorted out.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    Suspension
    JRB straptriglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post
    I haven't used that material myself, but I'm pretty sure sheets would do fine. You could always sacrifice an old one from your linen closet and give it a trial run.
    Thanks Frawg....I was thinking the same thing..if it can hold me it should be safe...I am 6'3" and 370

All right gargoyle, I will hold a bit

Thanks
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
    George Bernard Shaw

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

hear ye hear ye MORE GOOD NEWS

This hammock for haiti thing has gone crazy cool..I am floored with the response this community has shown and want to thank all the great folks here.
    ==================

COLLECTIVE BARGAIN BUY

We have just recieved word from the awesome folks at Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics that they will allow us to purchase greatly reduced fabrics for this project. PGibson was very instrumental in getting this going (thanks PG,)

Here's the scoop:

1. Olive Drab Green, nylon taffetta 60+" wide. uncoated 70denier...@ $1.58 a yard!!
    1 roll @ 125 yards. We have to buy whole rolls only, they will not cut the fabric for us. (which is fine) Plus shipping. 2,000 yards available.

2. No-SeeUm mosquito netting.60+ wide $2.14 a yard, whole roll price. 100 or 125 yards per roll. Plus Shipping.

Shipping looks to be around $30 a roll, or Paul @ AHE can pick it up if we have lots. thanks Paul

THIS FABRIC IS NOT FOR PERSONAL USE OR FOR PERSONAL PROJECTS OR GAIN.

This fabric buy is for the project "Hammocks for Haiti". If your interested in purchasing this fabric, but don't see a way you can burn up 125 yards, We are offering an excellent solution.

"Collective Bargain Buy", if you need some fabric, we can purchase a roll, send it here or to PGibson and cut it up accordingly.We can accept donations at Arrowhead Equipment, which we'll use to buy fabric and cover the cost of shipping. This is an opportunity to get some good fabric at a ridiculously low price and your help is needed. Paul at Arrowhead Equipment has donated his site AND ELBOW GREASE to allow us to "collective bargain buy" (or "cbb" if you will). We can purchase gift certificates at AHE, which will be used for the purchase of fabrics and offset shipping costs. If you want to donate, go to AHE and purchase a "gift" certificate.

OWF has been kind enough to give us a chance to get the fabrics needed at excellent prices.

Along with the great prices, OWF has donated a roll for our cause
    How cool is that.!!! Thank you OWF.

Again, this fabric buy is for the Haiti project and is not for personal use or gain. This is on the Honor System.

If your interested in buying a whole roll, either by donation or for your own home based group to sew with, contact me for purchase info, via pm here at the forum. We can ship directly to you!

Paul at AHE has rallied the ladies at church, who are excited about sewing up some hammocks. If you would like to donate fabric, we have people who can sew. Let us know, we can gather the neccessary funds and folks building hammocks. Harpo63 has some kids at the School, so we can find folks who have the skills, but we need fabric.

And a big Thank You to the Mods here at Hammock Forums. You guys rock

this is not a group buy, and in no way to be confused as a group buy, this is a CBB, collective bargain buy!
    Last edited by gargoyle; 02-02-2010 at 12:50.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Suspension
    JRB straptriglide
    Images
    gargoyle...this sounds like an excellent idea..thanks for all of work you are doing. I would certainly like to make a donation to help purchase the fabric to be used. How does the gift certificate deal work..like who do we make the certificate to.
    George Bernard Shaw

Hammock
    Suspension
    JRB straptriglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    This hammock for haiti thing has gone crazy cool..I am floored with the response this community has shown and want to thank all the great folks here.
    ==================

Along with the great prices, OWF has donated a roll for our cause
    How cool is that.!!! Thank you OWF.
    to the folks at OWF and everyone else
    George Bernard Shaw

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Directions for donating fabric:

Go to the Arrowhead Equipment link, here. Scroll down to the gift certificates, click on that, fill in the dollar amount? that you want to donate and proceed as usual, name, address, paypal info, etc. Make sure you fill everything out...and note that your gift cert. is for Haiti, your nickname here, and that this is a gift. Taxes do apply. But if its a gift you don't pay paypal fees.

I've tried to get thru a few times and its busy!!! Hopefully everyones buying gifts?!

Paul will then use the money balance in his paypal account to purchase the material and send it out or sew it at his place or you can have him send it to my signature address. Paul lives near the OWF headquarters and has offered to pick-up the material. And then if folks want to sew smaller sections of fabric into hammocks, he can cut it to size and ship ups or mail. Shipping will be at your expense. If we get enough donations to offset the shipping cost, great. But that's up to you guys.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast