Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks

WBBB XLC HANGING foot end higher

So how do you guys do it?

Do you center having tree straps the same height, get your 30 degree angle then raise the foot end tree straps and lower the head end?

Do you bring the foot end closer to the tree?

I still struggle with this, and judging the distance between the trees.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    A little of both for me: I tend to hang my foot end straps a little higher as well as position the foot end of the hammock a little closer to that tree. I'm still experimenting a bit, but this way seems to require less tarp adjustment should you need to adjust the height at each end.

Of course, this assumes you have trees that are somewhat the same size and access to the height you need.
    I'm still learning too, but one thing I've noticed is that flexibility is your friend, no 2 hangs are exactly the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Black Bird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie/HG Burro
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    I try to keep the hammock somewhat centered and put the foot end strap higher. I aim for the head end of the hammock about waist high and the foot end about arm pit high with a 25 degree angle on the suspension. Adjust from there.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I do a three-step adjustment process after hanging the hammock with the foot end approximately 12" higher and with slightly more length on the foot-end suspension.

1) Adjust the head end length more finely to get a slightly steeper hang angle than the target 25 degrees.

2) Shorten the foot end to bring the hang angles on both ends to a more shallow 25-degree hang angle, raising or lowering the foot end anchor point if necessary.

3) Adjust the final sit height on the properly hung hammock (if necessary) by raising or lowering the head and foot ends an equal amount.

Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood

WBBB XLC HANGING foot end higher

Remember that as you raise or lower the straps, the taper of the tree can change you angle as well as the overall height.

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    I used to worry about holding a 30 degree angle. Truth is that now I just put my hammock up and get in it for feel. I use a piece of closed cell foam in my footbox. If the lay feels right I stop fiddling. I do pay attention to how tight my ridge line is. I keep it pretty tight. The Warbonnet site has pretty decent videos for judging the ridge line.

By the way, here's my hammock set up this past Saturday night. Was hanging beside Jeremy's Run in the Shenandoah National Park. I think you can see that my foot is about 6 inches higher than my head end. Slept pretty well. Good luck testing. You'll get there.
    Warbonnet hang.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    I used to worry about holding a 30 degree angle. Truth is that now I just put my hammock up and get in it for feel.
    That's really all there is to it! Get it close then test. Sometimes in a less-than-ideal spot I'll have to tinker a bit more to get it just right.

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    That's really all there is to it! Get it close then test. Sometimes in a less-than-ideal spot I'll have to tinker a bit more to get it just right.
    Early in my hanging career I actually got a protractor. Looking back it wasn't overkill. There is a skill to creating a good hang and it comes with experience. Once I knew I had roughly the right angle I could focus on a few other elements of hanging until I was comfortable putting the hammock up. Haven't looked back since then. Hammocks are great. Saturday night I actually hung with 4 feet of the edge of the bank over Jeremy's Run. Could hear the water gurgle all night. Others in my group in tents were further away and couldn't enjoy as much.

Hammock
    WBBB XCL SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Make sure the SRL is tight but not guitar tight. Then be sure the foot end is higher than the head end. Get in and see if you are lying flat, if not then adjust either strap accordingly by moving them up or down the tree.

That's how I do it and it seems to work

Images
    i think it's easiest to normally have the foot end alot closer to the tree and attach it higher on the trunk. The ends will often drop some once weighted, by putting the foot end much closer to the tree you will usually have the head end drop much moreso than the foot end when weighted and that usually works pretty well by making sure the head end stays lower

• + New Posts