Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

Hmmm... Trying to decide ...

Hello,
    I have been trying to decide which tarp to get. I am interested in the Speer Winter Tarp and the OES MacCat Standard or the Deluxe. I mostly hike in the spring, summer, or fall, but am willing to try colder weather. I always worry about weight. What do you guys think? I'm planning on buying the Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 single layer when funds are available. I worry that the Winter tarp would be to much in the summer but, like the protection it offers for all weather conditions. So whatcha think?
    Questtrek
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". John Muir.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    For year-round use, I would go with the MacCat Deluxe. When pitched properly, it offers a lot of protection, while still keeping the weight to a minimum. To extend it into winter, all you need is experience and proper site selection.

Also, 2QZQ will soon be selling addong door/beak kits to put on MacCats when you really want extra coverage.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    OES DLX Spinn, SWT
    Insulation
    SnugFit, MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by questtrek View Post
    Hello,
    I have been trying to decide which tarp to get. I am interested in the Speer Winter Tarp and the OES MacCat Standard or the Deluxe. I mostly hike in the spring, summer, or fall, but am willing to try colder weather. I always worry about weight. What do you guys think? I'm planning on buying the Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 single layer when funds are available. I worry that the Winter tarp would be to much in the summer but, like the protection it offers for all weather conditions. So whatcha think?
    I've got the MacCat Deluxe in SpinnUL AND the SWT. I use the Deluxe in 3 seasons and carry the SWT in the winter. If I had to do it at this point, I would recommend the MacCat Deluxe with the GrizzBeaks.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Another vote for the Deluxe+beak. You get the best of both worlds that way. I use a 10x11 similiar to the SWT year round, and I like all the coverage and options I get, but another thing to consider is that the Speer tarp takes six stakes to get perfectly pitched for high winds (in nice weather you can leave the middle side pull-out unstaked. That's a lot more fiddling than a tarp that only needs 4 like the Deluxe.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    whatever you get, get it in spinnUL

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Heck; I'll go with the flow. I've used the OES deluxe for years with great results in 3 seasons. In fact, I just checked the USPS website and my new SpinnUL should be delivered today.

You won't be sorry with either tarp, both are great products, but from what you said I'd suggest starting with the OES and get the SWT later if you start doing more winter hiking.
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Images
    Pretty much what every one said. I think if weight was one of your top priorities, then the Mac Dlx- in Spinn- would possibly be your best choice. Then, as others have said, if you felt the need, you could boost it with a Griz beak, probably needed on just one end according to wind direction. I had a Mac Cat Dlx, and I often wish I had not sold it, especially now that the Griz Beaks are available.

But just for the sake of confusion , let me say how much I have liked my JRB 10x11. Like with the SWT, you are stuck with some what higher weight. But what I have always liked about it is it's rectangular shape. I know the hex cuts are very popular for hammock tarps, but I have just always felt like I had better coverage with the rectangular. Also, it allows me to more or less close one or both ends fairly easily, when needed.

And the rectangular cut allows easily pitching in numerous configurations, which is great. Like the Baker Hut, for example.
    Or pitch on the 10 foot ridgeline for a sort of "tent". While still having pretty good overall coverage. And the width is enough to allow a regular A frame with wider pitch than you might otherwise use in a big rain storm. I have had a "porch" on one side during a deluge, also pitched for standing room for my 6'1" self, which left me plenty of room to cook while sitting my hammock.

Here is a shot of the this tarp with one end closed, over a BMBH's spreader bars, which is a bit tricky. I am using grip clips to pull the sides out away from the spreader bars, giving plenty of room, as you can see in the 2nd pic. And notice Ithe sides are still pretty close to the ground fow wind block.

Lot's of good choices! This is another, if you choose to go with the some what higher weight of a larger tarp.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    I don't know about the tarps but I wish my hammock was a double layer so I had somewhere to stuff a pad. Just a thought if you haven't bought yer hammock yet.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl layer.
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Hey thanks everyone,
    Since I do always think about weight, I think I'm going to go for the OES MacCat Deluxe. There's just so many out there that it can be hard to narrow it down sometimes. I am sure I can pitch it right for the conditions on hand with all the help that is offered on here. Thanks to all you guys !.... thanks again.
    Questtrek
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". John Muir.

• + New Posts