Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images

exped wallcreeper sleeping bag

I just got in my exped wallcreeper sleeping bag and it looks pretty nifty. with a few attachment mods I should be able to use this as an underquilt. I tried it as a peapod with my blackbird hammock but it wasn't too comfortable like that. I used it last night on my porch at 60 degrees using a cheap foam pad and everything was great, temp wise anyway. the bag did have an odor to it, and now it's all over me and most likely on my hammock now too. Is this some sort of "new bag" smell? anyway I got an email into exped and called Mountain Gear.com who I bought it from. mtgear is going to send me another one, and I asked them to check it out first.

I did wear it as a jacket/coat and will have to do something about holding up the bottom as even the regular size is long for me. I can't wait for another cold snap to try this thing out! I also have an exped dam 9 dlx coming so I'll try them out together in the ground mode as I got some trips that require that configuration. I'll of course try it out in my blackbird .......

dang, if it wasn't for that stinky smell I'd almost be ready .......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I personally love my exped. it's such a great 3 season hammock bag. Ultimately I've gone on to Top Quilts though because the weight penalty of the Wallcreeper is just too much. I never tried using it as an under quilt though.

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    I should have my replacement wallcreeper 650 in this afternoon! and we had a front move in so tonight will be a good test for it and my other gear for my up coming trips (where I won't have any tree's to hang from). I do plan on sewing in a few pull tabs so I can attach the bag as an uq. two at the head and two at the feet. for test purposes I attached to the zipper and drawstrings and saw that it made a nice fit but I don't feel that those are strong enough. dedicated tie out points will do the job nicely. Pics to follow, of course ....

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    I got my new wallcreeper bag in and tested it out a few nights out on the ol'front porch. I wonder what the neighbors and passing cars think? who cares!

I'm pretty darn happy with the bag so far. I find if I put an s-biner in each end of my blackbird I can attach the foot end of the bag to the biner on one side and use some bungie and an office clip tied off to the head end and it keeps my whole bag in place while setting up to get into the bag and hammock.

I also have a "frog sac" summer weight bag which is very similar to the wallcreeper and tried that out as a ug like I did for the wallcreeper and it works out very nicely. I'll have to add the mods to the frogsac first and see how that works out as my primary uq. It seems to fit very nicely, like the wallcreeper, and since I already have this, and if it works out good, then I can save myself on buying/making a down uq. I got plans on doing the TransAmerica trail via motorcycle so I have to be prepared for the full spectrum of weather and temps, so having a complete system of gear worked out is important. where ever I am I want to be outfitted for it.

my only problem with testing this gear out, mostly inside my house, is that I tend to get trapped into accidental naps! does this happen to anyone else?

I'm gonna reference to a few other related threads:

wallcreeper setup like a peapod:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...0&postcount=28

Sleeping bags with Arm or Leg holes - comprehensive list:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=13511

Last edited by spidennis; 01-31-2010 at 17:48.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
    I'm pretty darn happy with the bag so far. I find if I put an s-biner in each end of my blackbird I can attach the foot end of the bag to the biner on one side and use some bungie and an office clip tied off to the head end and it keeps my whole bag in place while setting up to get into the bag and hammock.
    I've been pondering just such an arrangement. Glad to hear that it works for you.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    For those wanting more detailed pics of the wallcreeper:

http://www.sandslave.com/wallcreeper650/

note: in jacket mode, in passing the end of the line thru it's a bit tight so a biner works well for this.

and it has a dual two way zipper. It will zip down to fully open and will zip up to aid in jacket mode.

Last edited by spidennis; 02-01-2010 at 16:45.

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    and I'd think that this would be a nice addition to the whole gear system.

and the link to it:
    http://www.hilleberg.com/2006%20Prod...wBivanorak.htm

• + New Posts