KY > Red River Gorge > November > Recommendations

I'm going to a conference in Pittsburgh in November and driving south to Alabama (my home) when it ends. The conference ends on a Friday though so I have the chance to stop on the way somewhere and do a short backpacking trip. I'm pretty set that Daniel Boone National Forest is the place to go, specifically Red River Gorge? However, I can be turned to a different direction.

Anyway... The conference ends around 12, so I won't get to the forest until around 6ish. I like to camp away from the general population of RV campers, and since it's November, it looks like the first night I'll have to set up in the dark - I guess in one of the primitive campgrounds there?

I can stay until Sunday afternoon - wouldn't have to leave until around 4ish. So I have from late Friday night until Sunday afternoon... What should I do?

I don't mind long days of hiking and I'm pretty active - have hiked 15-16 mile days before, and around 10 or 11 in a gorge like area (Linville Gorge).

Hammock
    SLD 11' 1.6 Hexon Wide TR
    Tarp
    11'Tadpole/12'OMW
    Insulation
    20F HG quilts
    Suspension
    1in straps/biners
    Since you have never been to the RRGorge here is my suggestion. When you get off the Mt Pkwy go to the Shell station and buy a 3 day pass (for back country camping). Since your arriving late and on a weekend there is no way of knowing what will be available. When you turn out of the Shell station hang a left and proceed about 3miles until you see on your left Tunnel Ridge Road. There is primitive camping available near all of the parking lots along this gravel road except Greys Arch picnic area and the Auxier Ridge Trailhead lot at the end of the road. The campgrounds have names like Paleo, Ft Anceint, Woodland ect. Just make sure your at least 300ft from the road and parking lot and all should be good. When you get up the next day go to the Gladie Welcome Center and grab a map and all the info you want from the people behind the counter there. It will be a coin toss as what will be busy and what won't be. I would stay away from the Rough Trail (221) as it is probably the most traveled in the gorge. There are a thousand places to go there, most on unofficial trails, so drive the Hwy 715 loop and when you see something that interests you, stop and take a hike! The Gorge is about 8 x 7 miles (on a map) but the topography gives it a much larger feel. Enjoy the geology and make sure you take a camera.

Thanks for your suggestion! I'll look at a map and make sure I know which roads you're mentioning.

Hammock
    SLD 11' 1.6 Hexon Wide TR
    Tarp
    11'Tadpole/12'OMW
    Insulation
    20F HG quilts
    Suspension
    1in straps/biners
    Here is a map for quick online reference, although its not to scale it's useful for locating places and getting directions.

https://www.outragegis.com/gorge/3d/

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    OES MacCat
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    You can use the REI Hiking Project App while there. It has almost all the most popular trails along with directions to the trailheads.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Webbing, Buckles
    RRG is nice in November. Hopefully the leaves have changed and started to fall when you get there. I would recommend try getting the outragis 3d maps before you go. It shows some unofficial trails along with some established primitive campsites.

One of my favorite loops is Auxier Ridge (204) to Courthouse Rock, then down Auxier Branch (203) to Double Arch (201). Once you visited the Double Arch you will hike Double Arch(201) back down to the junction. Head West and hike up to the gravel road that takes you back out to the trailhead. Before you get back to the trailhead, there is an unofficial trail on the west side of the road called Star Gap Arch. Its a 1 mile out and back. Once back on the gravel road you will continue to the Auxier Ridge Trailhead. Its not a long loop (3-6 hours) but offers a lot to look at. You could finish your day by driving down to Gray's Arch trailhead and hiking into Grays Arch (205) to the Rough Trail (221) and visiting Grays Arch. Then continue on the Rough Trail towards Pinch Em Tight (223). Before you get to Pinch Em Tight, there is an unofficial trial that will go north and take you up to Hanson Point. There are plenty of campsites up there and it is a nice view. You will cross 2 streams between Grays Arch and the trail to Hanson Point, so I would top off your water before going up to Hanson Point. The next morning you can hike out via Pinch Em Tight and return to your car and head up to Indian Staircase, Chimney Top, Princess Arch, Natural Bridge State Park,.......etc.

I'm just sharing some of my favorites at RRG. Just food for thought. As KYhiker said, don't forget your 3 day pass. If you can try to score a 3 day pass before you get there. That way you don't have to spend time with that when you get there. The pass is good all year, until you fill in the dates with an ink pen. If you have time, swing by Miguel's and grab a pizza and a couple Ale-8-Ones for the ride home. Just ask anyone where Miguel's is and they will tell you.

Also, check out Sintax 77 videos on YouTube. He has a video from when he spent a couple days down there. Its pretty informative.

Good Luck and enjoy your time there. Hope this doesn't confuse you.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    +1 on what's already been mentioned.

My recommendation would be to day hike the Auxier Ridge area (Star Gap Arch, Double Arch, Courthouse Rock, Auxier Ridge). Then head out Rough Trail to Gray's Arch and camp at The Veranda or Hanson's Point. Lots of options from there to head back toward your car at Tunnel Ridge Rd. If you still have time you could move to Bison Way parking near the visitor center and hike to Indian Staircase (assuming you don't have a fear of height/exposure), Indian Arch, Adena Arch... Or, just drive to Sky Bridge.

Here are some of my trips to RRG - HERE

Here's another good resource for highlights of RRG - https://toredrivergorge.com/

If you get to Auxier Ridge. There is a little spot about a few hundred feet from trail head you can camp on, kind of feels like an island off the trail.
    Last edited by Hangin Fish; 10-16-2017 at 08:01.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I just got back from RRG today, after a four day three night stay. Not true backpacking, however; because I stayed at the Koomer Ridge Campground. Small tent sights are $20 a night up to $30 for larger ones. Day hiked out of there one day. Drove to Auxier Ridge for a loop and then went over to the Northeast side for some loops another day. Returned to the camp in the evenings. Don’t need to buy the permit if car is parked at night in the campground. Heated Showers, Tables and Fire Pits if you drag the wood. Just an option for November. I have also backpacked and stayed near Grays Arch and then Hiked over to Hansons Point to spend the night. PS. I hung nicely from trees behind the tent gravel spots that a buddy used. He slept poorly, but not I.
    "gbolt" on the Trail
    We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!
    YouTubeChannel. [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA]

• + New Posts