Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hewittdallas View Post
    No pics yet. I actually just spent last night out at Sipsey with the Burrow 40 and was in the process of cleaning/drying my gear out when the new quilts arrived.
    Did it rain on you last night? Where did you camp? The last time I was down there the trails were so overgrown it wasn't a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Did it rain on you last night? Where did you camp? The last time I was down there the trails were so overgrown it wasn't a lot of fun.
    No rain last night though it was still pretty humid/muggy from all the rain we've been getting. I camped down on 206 right on the bank of the river. It was a very short in and out trip for me (201 > 206). Basically, I hadn't spent any time in the woods with my hammock in awhile and needed to get a quick fix. The Burrow 40 made its maiden (outdoor) voyage on the trip and performed very well. I'm glad I decided to go with the snaps on the footbox and I utilized it quite a few ways last night. It went from hot to warm to almost cool.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    No rain last night though it was still pretty humid/muggy from all the rain we've been getting. I camped down on 206 right on the bank of the river. It was a very short in and out trip for me (201 > 206). Basically, I hadn't spent any time in the woods with my hammock in awhile and needed to get a quick fix. The Burrow 40 made its maiden (outdoor) voyage on the trip and performed very well. I'm glad I decided to go with the snaps on the footbox and I utilized it quite a few ways last night. It went from hot to warm to almost cool.
    Nice. I just can't bring myself to go in these hot temps but I'm just about to need a fix. Thanks for the info. Were the trails over grown?

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Nice. I just can't bring myself to go in these hot temps but I'm just about to need a fix. Thanks for the info. Were the trails over grown?
    Trail conditions are a little rough right now. Quite a few trees down and things are still pretty wet. 201 and 202 weren't too bad, but 206 and 209 are both pretty rough from what I've heard and seen.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Well, it is hard to go wrong with Hammock Gear for your quilt needs. There are many other threads (like this one) that go over all the differences between the "premium" and "economy" quilts that are popping up from many vendors. While I do try to keep my pack weight down, I was willing to sacrifice the ~4 oz per quilt to save several hundred dollars. And, as I mentioned above, I ended up really liking the feel of the Ion fabric so it was a double win!
    +1 on preferring the feel of Ion over Argon. I was a bit worried when I ordered because I was unfamiliar with Ion. When my quilt arrived I was delighted with the fabric. It has a really nice feel to it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Trail conditions are a little rough right now. Quite a few trees down and things are still pretty wet. 201 and 202 weren't too bad, but 206 and 209 are both pretty rough from what I've heard and seen.
    Thanks a ton for the recon. If you ever need a fall hiking partner give me a holler.

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    I've still got my eyes on the Econ series for a set of 0 degree quilts. I'm usually not hiking far when temps are that low, so the 8 oz more isn't an issue.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by somniferous View Post
    I've still got my eyes on the Econ series for a set of 0 degree quilts. I'm usually not hiking far when temps are that low, so the 8 oz more isn't an issue.
    Exactly my rationale for Econ zero degrees too

Quote Originally Posted by somniferous View Post
    Yep, for the rare cold weather venture it's hard to beat the Econ quilts. However, for frequent cold weather camping, many folks find greater value in the premium line as the weight/pack size start to be pretty noticable in the 0 degree range. Living in the South however, I'm in complete agreement with you!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Inc30 / B40
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So I just received my big order of HG econ quilts, which now brings my total up to four and completes my year-round quilt collection. I'm a little OCD when it comes to quilts (as I've learned the hard way), and finally decided on the HG Econ line to fill out my gear needs. While much has already been said on the Econ line, I wanted to offer a few of my initial thoughts to further support this great line of products from the fine folks at HG.

First, the quality of the quilts is excellent as has been noted many times already, so I won't elaborate on this point. Whatever you do, just don't assume "Econ = Cheap Quality" because nothing could be further from the truth.

Second, I actually really like the feel of the Ion fabric. While I know that many of the premium fabrics out there are just as strong (if not stronger), there is something very satisfying about having something that feels a little heavier to the touch. To be fair, I'm more of a lightweight backpacker and not an UL guy, so that perception probably varies from person to person. However, there were times in the past where I was afraid I'd damage an Argon 67 shell just by pulling a snap the wrong way or something. I didn't anticipate liking the Ion fabric as much as I do, so this was a very pleasant surprise.

Third, HG's customer service is outstanding! I'm a naturally indecisive person, but this big order of quilts really had me going back and forth. So much so that I actually emailed in twice to make changes to my order. Harry was very patient with me in the process and accommodated all of my requests. I know amazing customer service is sort of expected from the cottage vendors, but HG certainly helped raise the bar for me.

In the end, I'm a very happy customer and finally set for year-round hammock camping thanks to the Econ line at HG. A big thanks to Adam, Harry, and everyone else at HG for all the hard work to support the hammock community!
    Thank you so much for the wonderful review hewittdallas!! All of us here at Hammock Gear love hearing honest opinions about our quilts whether they be good or bad. We hope you enjoy all of your gear!

Thanks,
    Harry Carlson
    Customer Support
    Hammock Gear
    740-445-4327
    [email protected]

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12