Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Seriously a 22oz bridge is remarkable. I'll take this opportunity to publically thank Griz for all the effort he made in this project.
    thanks MM, I enjoyed the challenge.
    Please tell us why you would not remove the pad pocket? Stiffness of the lay? capture of a ccf pad?
    Yes, stiffness of the lay. Not sure what kind of stretching would occur with just one layer there. I'd be interested to know, but prefer someone else's BMBH be the object of the experiment!
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    HA! yes it's my backyard. I've done both directions to and from Carvers, 19E, Iron Mountain Gap, Hughes Gap too many time to count. I usually do Hughes to Carvers right before heading off on a long distance hike (well long distance to me so no snickering) to engage muscle memory and to see what I've forgotten. I've done a lot of bushwhacking on and off the balds too-would you believe we found (actually keyed out) an aspen growing on the left flank of Jane Bald. Yep it is a great playground. Also cool knowing John Muir spent the night less than 2 miles from my house
    But over the years I've quite a few people get in trouble anywhere from Iron Mountain to Carvers..usually 38-52F and rain. Above 5000 feet in the southern Apps and things change a bit.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I knocked back the 37 oz original weight by 11 oz, to 26 oz. That included already a 20" spreader bar at the foot, which made the spreaders weigh 7.5 oz rather than 8.5 oz. MedicineMan's poles reduces that by another 3.5 oz, so the BMBH he's packing is 22.5 oz.

There's more weight to lose if that's the objective—cut off the pad pocket. I wouldn't do it to my hammock, but the integrity of the hammock does not depend on it being there. There's at least a yard and a half of material in that, so at minimum you could shed another 3 oz. Sub 20 oz. Who'd have thunk it possible?
    I meant to ask at the time, and forgot to ask about something I was not sure of: in that original wt. rdx., all of the webbing straps were replaced by rope(Amsteel? whoopie slings?). Was the weight of tree huggers and maybe toggles added back in, and included in the net weight rdx?

Hmmm, cut the pad pocket off, eh? That double layer does not contribute to the weight rating of the hammock, as it does in some other hammocks? I don't know if I could pull the trigger on this. The 3 oz would be great. But if a full length or torso pad was ever needed to extend the rating of a UQ, the BMBH works so superbly with a pad, significantly better than any other hammock IMO. OTOH, if there is really no chance of having to use a pad, 3 oz is 3 oz.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Hammock
    BB,HH, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    MacCat, JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB underquilt
    Images
    I think a sub 20 oz is possible. I look as its more like Concept Car. A hammock prototype made to showcase new technology and ideas.

But, I would hate to give up a good night sleep in my MICRO FIBER Polyester Bridge for weight reduction.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    I've spent now a total of 4 nights in a bridge; I'm not saying it's not for me-maybe it's just that I've spent years in a gathered end hammock(s)....but the bridge is becoming more and more attractive as it gets lighter and lighter!
    So, what do you think? I really like the bridge, but I have not quite been able to pull the trigger on declaring it my overall fav. But real close.

Ironically, the lack of side torque should make it the champ for side sleeping, but I actually think it is for back sleeping that it truly shines, despite the relative lack of shoulder room. I love the total lack of any calf pressure, zero calf pressure. I love the way I can scoot up so that my head and shoulders are propped up for comfy reading, or the way I can actually sit up in the hammock with my back propped against the end. I think it is tops as a regular hammock chair, and after I got used to it, it is one of the very best for ease of entry/exit.

The ironic part re: side sleeping is: of course, you can only go slightly fetal. Not really a big deal for me. But then, completely on my side, slightly on my side or even halfway on my belly, zero side torque. That is SUPER. But, what about shoulder comfort while side sleeping? I'm not sure that matches something like my BB or Claytor. At least not if I am fully on my side, and if it does I kind of have to find a sweet spot for how I have my arms placed for shoulder comfort.

I'm not sure on this one aspect yet, i.e. shoulder comfort while side sleeping compared to the best gathered ends. Even if I decide it is not the champ in this one area, it might still end up being my overall fav hammock. What do you(and you other bridge users) think about comparative shoulder comfort when on your side?
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I meant to ask at the time, and forgot to ask about something I was not sure of: in that original wt. rdx., all of the webbing straps were replaced by rope(Amsteel? whoopie slings?). Was the weight of tree huggers and maybe toggles added back in, and included in the net weight rdx?

Hmmm, cut the pad pocket off, eh? That double layer does not contribute to the weight rating of the hammock, as it does in some other hammocks? I don't know if I could pull the trigger on this. The 3 oz would be great. But if a full length or torso pad was ever needed to extend the rating of a UQ, the BMBH works so superbly with a pad, significantly better than any other hammock IMO. OTOH, if there is really no chance of having to use a pad, 3 oz is 3 oz.
    score point to BB58, I forgot about the tree straps. Toggles don't have to count, trail sticks work. It is possible to use cord around protective twigs instead of tree straps, might pick up 0.5 oz that way.

Me, I carry tree straps and leave the pad pocket alone.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I generally like sleeping on my side, but I find that my lower shoulder feels kind of rolled in when I do that in my bridge. Also, going fetal changes the shape enough that my underquilt gets some gaps around the legs. No big deal in temperate weather, in fact, it's a nice groggy way of venting.

My dirty secret? I sleep on my stomach in my bridge, face toward the dirt. Don't ask me how, but I find it comfortable!
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    well, I just traded my WBBB for a BMBH from Mr. Prez...so I'm going to be working on dropping weight from it soon.
    I have heard your confession I know who you blame
    If you had it all back you'd just lose it again
    Can't bank on redemption if you ain't saved
    Don't bring me your tales of temptation and loss
    Don't bring me the pieces of your shattered cross

-- Stuart Adamson

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    MedicineMan - looks very promising.

Which carbon fiber tubes did you get. They list Uni-directional (sanded and unsanded) and Fabric (sanded and unsanded). Your pics look to be unsanded fabric, but would like to confirm.

Your ID and OD don't match anything listed on the site. Did you get custom made tubes?

Did the vendor cut to length and cut the notches on the ends?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    I generally like sleeping on my side, but I find that my lower shoulder feels kind of rolled in when I do that in my bridge. Also, going fetal changes the shape enough that my underquilt gets some gaps around the legs. No big deal in temperate weather, in fact, it's a nice groggy way of venting.

My dirty secret? I sleep on my stomach in my bridge, face toward the dirt. Don't ask me how, but I find it comfortable!
    On your stomach? I don't think I could do that, amazing!