WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post

I have added something for foot strengthening in the last year that you could try to toughen your feet: barefoot rope jumping. I do 2-5 minutes/day. The nice thing about jumping rope is it can be done anywhere, and is very portable if you are traveling. There's a great cardio benefit, and will *really* toughen your calves and feet if done barefoot. I do it on concrete/brick surfaces, which are easy on the feet. You can pick up a cheap jump rope for $5 at discount stores.

I've tried doing the barefoot running/hiking thing, but my feet bottoms are just too sensitive.

Good luck!

--Kurt
    Yes, barefoot jumproping really helps strengthen your feet and can toughen your soles as well. I have four jumpropes but seldom use them any more since I discovered I can do the same jumping just about anywhere, anytime, by just imagining I'm swinging the rope, moving my hands and feet the same way. Virtual jumproping, try it.

I also walk barefoot on my rolled gravel-over-tar road on most days, usually no more than a mile and a half barefoot before I put on shoes; the gravel is consistent in size and sharpness so no cuts. I otherwise walk and hike anywhere with thin-sole Merrell Trail Gloves. Similar to Five Fingers but there's no separation of toes, which I prefer. If toes rub, Body Glide or vaseline stops chafing. Loved the Trail Gloves so much I bought a second pair for when these wear out.. Didn't try the Vapor Glove model.

I don't run, except for short spurts on grass -- I walk a lot though, and am always heel-striking. And I'm suspicious about hiking trails barefoot because of unknown sharp pebbles, such as in my relative's driveway, and sometimes my own. I can't imagine doing it in the shale gorge near me. A cut in my sole would set me back. Perhaps with enough time and practice my sole could get as thick and tough as a baseball glove, but I'm not going to find out. No need to. I feel the rocks and other surfaces well with the Trail Gloves. I also walk sometimes with the wide toebox Altra Lone Peaks, which are spongy zero drop, and the Altra wide toebox zero drop Olympus shoes with maximum cushioning, although I'll probably give those away. Feels like I'm walking on a thick layer of ensolite. Three heavy people I know who asked about my Olympus shoes months ago bought them and then told me they relly like that extra sponginess for daily use. We're all different.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    The nice thing about jumping rope is it can be done anywhere, and is very portable if you are traveling. There's a great cardio benefit, and will *really* toughen your calves and feet if done barefoot.
    Have you noticed any big size difference in your calves? Those are difficult muscles to target for growth.

Good on you brother! Have you heard the concept of EARTHING/GROUNDING? look it up.....

I always walk trails barefoot if i can. I love it!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Always wondered who Skid Von Ark was after hearing your music on the HYOH podcast... great to hear you're able to hike again and hope you continue to recover!

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fsupaintball View Post
    Have you noticed any big size difference in your calves? Those are difficult muscles to target for growth.
    Good question. My calves get so much of a workout from running (about 14 miles/week) in my FiveFingers, that I don't think the barefoot jump roping can make a substantial difference.

If you are looking to grow your calves, and you are not currently running in minimalist shoes, barefoot rope jumping should make a big difference. To hit the calves hard you'd have to do single/alternating leg jumps, and train for a significant period of time. As you say, the calves are hard to grow, they are constrained by genetics.

--Kurt
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456