WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Washing a Ridgerunner

I'm in triple digits as far as the number of nights I've spent in the trusty 'ol Ridgerunner. Some of those nights have been in shorts and T-shirts so I'm sure there's a layer of sweat and oil on the nylon by now. I occasionally get a whiff of something funky (could be me and not the hammock! ). But I think it might be time to clean it up a bit.

What's the best way to wash a Ridgerunner? I'm concerned about throwing it in a washing machine, even in a commercial front load style or in a pillow case, for fear of damaging the bug netting. I'm thinking hand washing is the way to go (maybe in the bathtub). What kind of soap/detergent would be good? Tide? Woolite? Down wash like Nikwax even though there's no down?

I looked on Warbonnet's site for any info on hammock washing, but only found what appears to be a page related to washing down items. I can't remember if when I bought the RR if the gang at Warbonnet sent washing instructions with it.
    Last edited by drsolarmolar; 07-16-2017 at 16:39.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I would recommend Woolite as it's one of the mildest detergents and is made for cool water hand washing. Fill that tub up and give it a good washing. I've also seen where users simply hang their hammocks and use a water hose and simply wash it this way with Woolite. Rub the Woolite in by hand and rinse it with the hose and let it hang to dry.

I've used a mesh bag to wash all of my gear in a front loader. 3 RR's. 2 spindrifts. Most of it was purchased used. I've had 0 issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Zpacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ WBB 0 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide WS
    Images
    A good soapy soak in the tube and rinse in the shower. Hang mine for storage with quilts between trips.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I'm leaning toward just soaking it in a 5-gal bucket with a bit of "sport wash" or some woolite then rinsing several times. Mine's getting a little funky too.....

I treat my single-layer hammocks with Permethrin to keep the bugs from biting through the bottom and that stuff smells pretty bad. I've become spoiled with the RR since the double bottom seems to keep them away I've never treated it. I'd like to prevent it from smelling like a gym bag either.... ;-)

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    These are my go to washing instructions. Sorry for the link to another vendors subforum, hope that's ok....

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...g-instructions

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Pretty much confirmed what I was thinking but it's nice to have some other ideas. Probably will do the bathtub, Woolite, lotsa rinsing and hang dry.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I wash my hammocks by hand in the bath tub. Early on I used one of the specialty high tech soaps I used for down gear.

Now I use Dawn soap. I soak, rinse, add Dawn, soak, swirl, soak, rinse, drain, rinse add 1/2 cup cider vinegar, then final rinse. Roll in a bathsheet. Let it sit for a few minutes. Hang to dry.

Personally I no longer use Ivory Soap, it gums up fabrics. Dito Woolite. I use WASH RINSE for fine wool product or silk. I have used it on Argon with excellent results. I like the no rinse part too.

I noticed on the link for washing, it was suggested to remove the whipping when washing. Well I did exactly that with my BB. When I rewhipped the hammock, things were not right. I had to send it back to WARBONNET to be rewhipped properly. How the whipping is done affects how the hammock lays. Whipping is part of the difference between vendors. So be aware of that little fact especially with the Warbonnet GE.
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 07-16-2017 at 17:20.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm too lazy to hand-wash. I've always thrown my hammocks into the (front-loading) washing machine and used the normal cycle I use for most of my clothes, not the delicate one. The only thing I do is put the hammock in a storage bag, so it can't get twisted and ripped. My oldest hammock is 7 years now, and is still going strong.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Zpacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ WBB 0 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    I wash my hammocks by hand in the bath tub. Early on I used one of the specialty high tech soaps I used for down gear.

Now I use Dawn soap. I soak, rinse, add Dawn, soak, swirl, soak, rinse, drain, rinse add 1/2 cup cider vinegar, then final rinse. Roll in a bathsheet. Let it sit for a few minutes. Hang to dry.

Personally I no longer use Ivory Soap, it gums up fabrics. Dito Woolite. I use WASH RINSE for fine wool product or silk. I have used it on Argon with excellent results. I like the no rinse part too.

I noticed on the link for washing, it was suggested to remove the whipping when washing. Well I did exactly that with my BB. When I rewhipped the hammock, things were not right. I had to send it back to WARBONNET to be rewhipped properly. How the whipping is done affects how the hammock lays. Whipping is part of the difference between vendors. So be aware of that little fact especially with the Warbonnet GE.
    watch out for smellables.

• + New Posts