Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    Get a blue closed cell foam at WallyWorld... $14... less of an issue with condensation.
    A lot depends on both the weather AND how hot YOU sleep. Some folks are fine with them. [Shug sez he used his for two years before jumping to an underquilt.]
    Yeah I am not looking to add a full blown pad. I am not new at this, I have been hammock camping for years. Just looking for what to do during those times a quilt is a little too much what would work when you still need a little something underneath you to stay warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Emergency blanket as UQ?

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    This is kind of like putting bias ply K-Mart tires on an SL450 Mercedes-Benz Roadster.
    Sorry if I offend anyone with my curiosity, however before you write me off I have been a hammock camper for years. I probably have 5K in gear I have purchased over the years lol.

I am just trying to find a solution for when it barely gets cold enough to need something, but a UQ is too much. I live in Texas, so there are plenty of nights where nothing is needed but sometimes it gets just cold enough to need a little something.

This is probably not the solution, but just wondering if it would work.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Are you looking to DIY?

I recently made a silk tq for those situations, maybe something like that would work ok as an uq. Light fleece? Our first winter (indoors) we ended up hanging old flannel bed sheets from our hammocks. I didn't do a very neat and tidy job of it but it worked well enough in the house.

Maybe a UQP would be sufficient?

Emergency blanket as UQ?

Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Are you looking to DIY?

I recently made a silk tq for those situations, maybe something like that would work ok as an uq. Light fleece? Our first winter (indoors) we ended up hanging old flannel bed sheets from our hammocks. I didn't do a very neat and tidy job of it but it worked well enough in the house.

Maybe a UQP would be sufficient?
    Fleece is an idea... I believe that is about the only insulation that works while being compressed too... would be a pretty simple DIY!

Or...perhaps I should find some fleece pajamas and see if that works too. Not sure why I didn't think of that sooner

Last edited by devoncloud; 07-17-2017 at 20:40.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by devoncloud View Post
    I am not interested in cheating out lol... just curious. I own 3 hammockgear underquilts, one 3/4 length 20 degree, a full length 20 degree and a 0 degree with matching top quilts. I buy the most epic gear I can find (much to the chagrin of the wife) but in the texas heat was wondering if it might work better as a wilt is a little much sometimes.
    Thanks for explaining! Makes more sense now.

When it gets hot up here, I've had good results with a modded dri ducks poncho as an UQ https://theultimatehang.com/2013/02/...eather-shield/

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex / SLD WH
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 +2
    Suspension
    Beetle/cinch
    When it's too warm for my HG 20 deg UQ, I use one of the $20 Bed Bath & Beyond down quilts. I attach 3 tarp clamps on either side and hang it like an UQ. Works like a charm and packs up to the size of a softball in the stuff sack that it came in.
    Rick
    I wonder how it is we have come to this place in our society where art and nature are spoke in terms of what is optional, the pastime and concern of the elite?
    -Terry Tempest Williams

Back in the day before underquilts Ray Garlington came up with the garlington taco. I use a modified version using my poncho with some cord in the bottom seams to hang the poncho under the hammock and a cheap space blanket crumpled up/ shoved between that and the hammock. No condensation issues and no CBS in the decent weather. Heck you could even just tie the poncho to the suspension with some string. If nothing else it's a cheap thing to test.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12