Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

Nanoseeum Netting vs. Standard NoSeeUm Netting

I am getting ready to start ordering materials for my down quilt. As well as the material for the shell of the quilt (Momentum90) I was going to pick up some extra NoSeeUm for the baffles. The only netting that Thru-hiker.com sells is the Nanoseeum netting which is "32% lighter than standard noseeum". I normally get my NoSeeUm from Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics and I have no problems with it.

One concern about the Nanoseeum is that is almost 3 times the cost of regular NoSeeUm. The Nanoseeum from Thru-hiker is 6.84 per yard for the 55" wide fabric while the NoSeeUm from OWF is 2.90 per yard for the same width. I'm already spending $60 for fabric, not to mention what I have already spent on down, so I wanna keep my costs down as much as possible.

I have never seen Nanoseeum but it being 32% lighter tells me that there is less material that makes up the netting which would mean that the Nano may not be as strong as the regular NoSeeUm. I would think that when making a baffle for a quilt you would want the strongest stuff out there to keep the baffles from tearing. The weight savings would be minimal. If I were making a bug bivy the weight savings factor may make a difference.

Have any of you used the Nanoseeum from Thru-hiker? Is there any reason that I should use the Nano or should I just go with the regular stuff? Any comments on the differences between the 2 would be welcome.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I'm pretty sure HE used the nanoseeum for his down quilts...he also used Momentum90, so apparently going all-out was more important than cost
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Go for the nano. (Hey, that's kindof catchy.)

...movin' on up! To the big leagues...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I'm pretty sure HE used the nanoseeum for his down quilts...he also used Momentum90, so apparently going all-out was more important than cost
    The cost is really not that big of a deal. Although I was going to get a few yards just to have for future projects, I am more worried about it's durability in the long run.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    go for the nanoseeum, that is what my bug netting is made of and its quite strong
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Images
    Yup I made the decision early on to go all out on mine. Price wise I only ordered 2 yds so cost only came to $10-ish more than noseeum.

The nanoseeum is noticeably lighter in terms of thickness than noseeum. I had to be careful with stretching when I was sewing them. I think it stretched about 2 or 3 inches over 48 inches. Too me that is a lot of stretch. If you use it I would definitly pin. This is coming from a person who hates to pin.

I took a scrap and stretched it out. I tried to break it and did notice a big weakness. I'm happy with it. I think my weight savings was only in the 1+ oz saving.

I think that as long as you get it sewn on correctly, it will hold up for the life of your quilt. I think the trick is a good stitch and a roll seam. If you do a roll seam .5" wide, figure each baffle netting to be cut 1.5" wider than how high you want each baffle. I would sew a test baffle with scrap material and measure if you are unsure about this.

If you want I can mail you a scrap.

I side note on the mom90. Make sure you have sharp scissors. I really dulled the cheap pair I was using on it. A lot more than any ripstop I used. I also started with a new needle and switched in a new one half way through.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts