Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape

Thoughts after 70 days in the hammock...

Been keeping an eye out here in the forums but mostly have been quiet--I remember a saying that goes something like, unless your words improve the silence, stay quiet, so that what I have been doing. It's been fun watching everyone doing their thing. Reading, learning how people solve problems, but I seem to have been bitten by the experimenting fiddle bug--not quite to the DYI phase yet, that'll be coming along in time, I am sure. I just started hammocking this spring and have put 70 night in the hammock now--the last 65 have been consecutively. It has been a great ride so far. I started with a cheap $30 hammock from Amazon in April and have not looked back. I learned how to install a ridgeline--and more importantly, why. I found out why an underquilt is the way to go and got a nice one from Arrowhead and it was like magic. Then I got a fantastic top quilt from Hammock Gear--man, it doesn't get much better than that, although, I had to put it away for the summer, but when temps fall again, it'll be back. Just this week, I installed some snake skins--that is just the way to go. I had made myself a bishop bag to stuff the hammock in, but everything got all tangle and twisted, so now, into the snake skins then into the bishop bag--boom, set up is a snap! Last week, I took an old tarp I had in the shed to put over my home encampment and realized, quite by accident, why hex tarps with cat cuts are done that way...light bulb above the head moment. I love and still use my cobbled together set up--it might be I feel a kinship with it all since every part was thought out and installed--added ridgeline, ridgeline organizer, a new cinch buckle suspension, etc. I brought it with me car camping last week, slept like a rock. But the new setup is a Dutch Halfwit--it took me a week to get it tweaked the way I like it--it was pretty hot under that bug net most nights, but last night, I was once again sleeping all night and feeling refreshed in the morning. It seems it takes me about a week with a new setup to understand it right so I do not actually fully wake up when I have a midnight nature call. With all that said, I still felt like a noob in here, and honestly, I still am, I try to have the Buddha’s beginner's mind--and yet, I do feel I have paid my first entry fee and got a new simple suspension from Dutch--it is not his newest, fanciest, but it is something I wanted to try--it looked so simple I couldn't understand if it worked well, but I know it will. I know, this was a little wordy, just talking it out...

dutchware gear.jpg

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Congrats on getting that many consecutive days in a hammock. Was this all outdoors?

good on ya Chris.

That many nights in a row makes you a veteran. You have my respect (and jealousy).

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Congrats on getting that many consecutive days in a hammock. Was this all outdoors?
    Yes, all outside. I took down my kids old outside play set and used the old deck as a base for my home camp setup. It looks a little of a mess because it is a constant experiment. I have been outside in all sorts of weather short of snow so far.

Home Hammock Setup.jpg
    Home Hammock Setup2.jpg

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by old creek View Post
    good on ya Chris.
    Thanks! I remember reading somewhere it takes 30 days to create a habit, so initially that was was I was shooting for...then when I got to 30 days, I just kept going!

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler883 View Post
    That many nights in a row makes you a veteran. You have my respect (and jealousy).

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk
    Thank you! My schedule was too busy to throw in adventure during the days--product of having 2 young teenage kids. That left me the option of just sitting inside binge watching TV shows or lay the ground work for when I would have time to adventure...I chose the latter. My kids have gotten used to it now...they treat my backyard camp like "Dad's Room" now.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20*
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    That's awesome!!! With an room like that, what else do you need in life!?
    I'd rather be hanging.

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by brazilianguy View Post
    That's awesome!!! With an room like that, what else do you need in life!?
    Thanks! It isn't much but it is very workable--until the cold weather comes and then I will need to do some work to handle the cold and airflow but for now it all works great! And you are right, in life, if we allow ourselves to realize--we do not need a lot to be happy.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by heyduff View Post
    Thanks! It isn't much but it is very workable--until the cold weather comes and then I will need to do some work to handle the cold and airflow.
    the nice part about getting it done in the yard is that if you miscalculate how much blanket you need for warmth, you can just run inside, grab another layer, and give it another go

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast