DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    The Thunderfly appears to provide excellent protection with a lot less weight than my 12 foot OES Mac Cat Ultra with sewn on doors. Very attractive way to lose some ounces off my base pack weight, when i don't need the utter bomb proofness of my winter tarp.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner/blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Bushwack minifly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutch spider/poly
    I’ve used my thunderfly more than my superfly since buying my thunderfly. Both with my ridgerunner and xlc. I like the weight savings and feel I have plenty of coverage with the thunderfly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Trail Lair/LSOH WarriorUL
    Tarp
    ManyFly's/HG WP
    Insulation
    HG/Speer/WB
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    This has kind of been addressed, but I'm about to choose my first real (not-from-Amazon, less than 40oz) tarp. If you were getting one tarp for now, would it be the Thunderfly or Superfly?

Of course spring is almost here, so winter isn't much of a concern at this point. But the extra coverage for wind/privacy/four-season-use is appealing. Of course the downsides to the Superfly would be the extra weight and the extra size potentially preventing it from fully deploying in denser woods.

What wisdom can others impart?
    I would definitely go with the Superfly as my first, and subsequently, only "real" tarp. I believe its the most versatile tarp on the market. It can be used in virtually any type of weather most sane people will expose themselves to while in the backcountry. I believe WBs newer tarps are pieces of situational gear. The Superfly, on the other hand, is a solid piece of gear you build the rest of your shelter arsenal around.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I love this thing! Here's my 20D silpoly lineup in order of purchasing, including real weights (lines, hardware, sack)

Mamajamba: 14.60oz
    Superfly: 21.30oz
    Thunderfly: 16.05oz

The Superfly was primarily my winter tarp. Looking back, I only remember using it a few times outside of winter. One time I had a good thunderstorm which was great; it was fun sitting in a chair underneath and felt like I justified bringing it.

The Mamajamba was my goto tarp, coming on almost every trip. I never got wet, but when the rain was anything but straight I felt like my dry area was limited. Not a problem by pulling things in closer; less gear sprawl. Still great in porch mode.

Before receiving the Thunderfly, I was wondering if it would be too close to the Mamajamba. Would the small doors make a difference? Absolutely! I also don't like mess...keep things simple. Luckily, this only requires two more short pieces of cord to pull out the doors when clipped together with a biner. When the light rain started, I immediately knew I made the right decision. The width is about the same as the Mamajamba I'm used to, so porch mode is very comfortable. And the beaks formed by pulling out the doors blocked 100% of the misty, swirling rain that would have otherwise blown in. This also has a few more inches of strap out of the rain, so I didn't even bother with drip lines.

I'm pretty sure this will replace at least 50% of my Mamajamba usage going forward. Pack size is literally identical. Another home run from Warbonnet!

Here it is in porch mode, hung fairly high since it was warmish/calm most of the time

Pretty sweet hang spot! After checking yours out over the weekend, the curse of One-click looms above me light a black cloud. It really is a great tarp, but the idea of adding another to the fleet is tough to justify at this moment.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I love this thing! Here's my 20D silpoly lineup in order of purchasing, including real weights (lines, hardware, sack)

The Superfly was primarily my winter tarp. Looking back, I only remember using it a few times outside of winter. One time I had a good thunderstorm which was great; it was fun sitting in a chair underneath and felt like I justified bringing it.

The Mamajamba was my goto tarp, coming on almost every trip. I never got wet, but when the rain was anything but straight I felt like my dry area was limited. Not a problem by pulling things in closer; less gear sprawl. Still great in porch mode.

Before receiving the Thunderfly, I was wondering if it would be too close to the Mamajamba. Would the small doors make a difference? Absolutely! I also don't like mess...keep things simple. Luckily, this only requires two more short pieces of cord to pull out the doors when clipped together with a biner. When the light rain started, I immediately knew I made the right decision. The width is about the same as the Mamajamba I'm used to, so porch mode is very comfortable. And the beaks formed by pulling out the doors blocked 100% of the misty, swirling rain that would have otherwise blown in. This also has a few more inches of strap out of the rain, so I didn't even bother with drip lines.

I'm pretty sure this will replace at least 50% of my Mamajamba usage going forward. Pack size is literally identical. Another home run from Warbonnet!

Here it is in porch mode, hung fairly high since it was warmish/calm most of the time

How long are your guylines?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post
    How long are your guylines?
    Not very long, about 4-5'. Even then, there's usually 2-3' left over except on the porch side, where I only have maybe 1' left over due to the poles being about 3' tall in this setup.

I started with 6' lines on taprs years ago, but never came close to needing that so I cut it down.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Not very long, about 4-5'. Even then, there's usually 2-3' left over except on the porch side, where I only have maybe 1' left over due to the poles being about 3' tall in this setup.

I started with 6' lines on taprs years ago, but never came close to needing that so I cut it down.
    I have 4' on my Superfly; 1' is used by 2 bowline hitch knots. I frequently use the full length of my guyline w which is more like 3'. Seeing as the Thunderfly has less width, I may need 5' guylines.

My guyline extensions are 6' for porch mode and random uses. Seems I have room for minimalism..

Very nice

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    The single line on doors...got me thinking after a few trips. Some scenarios:

1. With a very wide tree spacing of about 18', you may be able to stake out the line right in front of the tree (not typical in my experience).

2. With a ~14' "standard" tree spacing, #1 usually isn't possible. So I wrap the line around the tree.

3. If the trees are wide, maybe 12" or more, then wrapping it throws off the angle and the tautness is sloppy/hammock lines rub on tarp. Same with staking it out to one side of the tree.

Regardless, I always make it work and I love this tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123