HH Explorer Deluxe Asym Classic
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ
    Suspension
    HH Stock

Bottom Entry Hennessey Costco Underquilt

I just made an underquilt for my original bottom entry Hennessey that allows me to enter through the bottom and I don't have a lot of suspension lines in my way. It is also modular. Please see the attached photos.

I took the new underquilt out for a trial run last weekend and it worked great. I doubled it up to try the modular part too. It only got down to 55 degrees at night so I don't know how well it would work in colder temps.

The slack between the attachment points was gone once I had my body weight in the hammock. If the gap concerns you, a strip of elastic in the grosgrain running laterally across the ends should fix that. I didn't find that necessary.

Making the Underquilt:

Step 1
    I sewed a line up and back on the Costco quilt where I wanted to cut the entry slit to match the bottom of the hammock. The two stitch lines are to keep the feathers in when I cut between the stitch lines. Make the stitch lines wide enough to cut between them with scissors.

Step 2
    For looks and a little protection I sewed on the MARPAT nylon using Multicam grosgrain that I bought online at ripstopbytheroll. This is only needed for the outer layer.

Step 3
    I sewed nylon ribbon loops onto the hammock fabric. Six loops on entry side and five on head side.

Step 4
    I sewed elastic bands with toggles to the underquilt at locations matching the loops already sewn onto the hammock.

Optional Modularity:

Step 1
    Follow Step 1 above with a different Costco quilt

Step 2
    Sew grosgrain where you had cut the Costco quilt to help keep the feathers in.

Step 3
    Sew nylon ribbon loops at locations to match the elastic bands with toggles previously sewed onto the underquilt.

Use:

Simply attach underquilt toggles to the loops sewn on the hammock. To add the modular layer, just run the toggle and elastic band on the underquilt through the nylon ribbon on the extra quilt before attaching the toggles to the hammock loops.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ribeye67; 07-21-2017 at 10:01.

• + New Posts