Tarp
    HG DCF w/ Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti 40, Wooki 0
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Currently on Superior Hiking Trail - Silver Creek to Hwy 1

This morning, I decided to switch from my WB Edge to the new WB Superfly, because of incoming possible severe storms. I wasn't sure if it would be overkill, but I figured, what the hell. Woke up at 4am to seam seal the tie outs and went back to bed. Tore down at noon for a good 8 hour cure. Headed out of Twin Cities late... my brother is a lolligagger, at about 1:45pm. My brother and I drove separately for a through hike. Got to the end trailhead at 5:20 pm with the anvil edge of the storm directly overhead. Got to Silver Creek at 5:45 and booked it.

While the trail was dry, there have definitely been some changes to the path as wildlife goes through the mud, but all-in-all, it wasn't too shabby. Got the tarp set-up with about 10 seconds left before the rain started to fall. Whew! Now, I am laying in my hammock thinking about how this could have been a lot worse. I'm comfortable, I'm warm, I'mean dry, and I'm happy in the woods thanks to the advice that I've gotten here. Without you guys, I may be a hanging fool. Instead, I'm a comfortable hanging fool, and I like that.

More to come later.
    Last edited by Chemist; 07-21-2017 at 21:04.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I'd say you made the correct choice on tarps.

Stay dry, have fun! Pics or it didn't happen....

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    So that bit of extra weight wasn't so bad after all was it

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Being a lolligagger and all, your brother sounds like a perfect match for hanging! Glad your tarp is doing its job. I love my SuperFly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 Dual
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti 40, Wooki 0
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Day 2: as I lay in my hammock with the smallest storm possible hitting us and no one else, I'm glad to say that we made the trip to Kennedy Creek from Penn Creek.

Got a ate start. 10-ish. The hike from Penn Creek to bear was uphill, muddy, and generally what you'd expect on the SHT. From Bear to Mount Trudee was up, up, up! My brother rolled his ankle a few times, and has a bad knee that gave him a lot of trouble on the uphill sections. I decided to take on his tent and food to help out, because I really wanted to make it to camp before 6pm. Trudee to Tettagouche was a breeze for the most part. The Drainpipe was fun. There were also a few downed trees from last night in this section, and a few impaled mice from hiking poles from people before us.

Tettagouche was tourist central, with families heading to and from the falls off Baptism River. We stopped and took a much needed break here.

Re-watered, and refreshed, it was off to Highway 1. More of the same, mostly uphill from the river.

Hwy 1 to Kennedy Creek started out as a gradual uphill, and then transitioned into a steeper uphill climb. The was a short downhill section to an old road covered in white daisies(?) from one end to the other. Then it was up. Steeper and steeper... Lots of up, mad brother. Lol. When we got to the top of the ridge, we were looking down on Wolf Lake. There couldn't have been a better sight for that moment.
    There were no hammock sites at East Kennedy Lake, so we stayed at the Western site. There are slim pickings there too. I'm actually posted on a trail that I hope deer don't use as a shortcut through camp.

The first round of storms missed us at 6:30. We were in a 1.5 mile gap that the line of storms forgot. However, they found a way to get us back, and a 5-10 mile across storm hit us around 9PM.

I'll hit you guy up with some pictures tomorrow when I'm home.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Lynx Clone
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Thanks for the ride back to Beaver Bay! It was fun camping with a few other hangers, even if one of them did sleep talk after sloshing an abundance of vodka down. I'm drying out my tarp still in preparation to seal the ridge. I hope that Castle Danger beer was as good as the Fitgers growler that went down as soon as I got back home. Hope to cross paths on the trail again sometime.
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." – Bilbo Baggins

• + New Posts