Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by -Sawg View Post
    I would recommend trying a few nights in a hammock before you go all in and invest in a ton of gear. I speak from personal experience... I got the hammock bug a year ago. Watched all the videos, Bought all sorts of stuff, even made several pieces of gear. But a year later I realized that I prefer my tent and sleeping on the ground. Hey, it's what works for me; I'm not judging or saying you'll be the same. But it's worth considering.
    The beauty is he can sell the gear he's looking to get if it's not for him. I've only met three people that have tried hammocks over tents and go back so it's definitely a direction not many take. None the less HYOH.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamaflan View Post
    So I am concerned with the GE because I don't know if I can really flip over without changing the whole direction I'm laying. But I've also heard the bridges don't necessarily accommodate side sleeping with your legs tucked up. The weight difference is not so important to me.
    My normal sleeping pattern sounds a lot like you. And people on this board have been telling me for 2+ years that I would probably sleep differently in a hammock than I do in bed, but I don't. So I'll answer the question you actually asked: yes, you can roll over from side to side perfectly fine in most GE hammocks and the fetal position is perfectly comfortable. That's how I sleep 100% of the time I actually fall asleep in a hammock. I tried a bridge hammock a few times and it was difficult to pull your knees up. If you can side-sleep with legs mostly extended this is probably the best option, but if the fetal position is most comfortable for you then I'd recommend a gathered end. I spend at least 2 dozen nights a year in a hammock like this.

I sleep 90% of the time on my left side, so I opted for a DreamHammock Sparrow asym with a right lay. This puts my head to the left and keeps the sidewall out of my face. When I do turn over the side rides high and I can't see anything, but it's still comfortable. If I slept equally on both sides I'd probably use my Dutch symmetrical more often.

You mentioned pads - for us fetal position sleepers, I've found that insulation needs to be considered carefully. It's pretty easy to have your feet and knees overhang a typical sleeping pad leading to some cold spots. Because I move around, I use all the available ways to keep my underquilt connected to the hammock, from the pack hooks on the DH Sparrow to some extra clips from Dutch. And I've selected top quilts that are compatible with this using 56" wide UGQ Renegades so that there is plenty of fabric to drape over my knees and back. This isn't really a problem at 50°, but in the winter at -12° you notice these drafts and cold spots in a hurry. When I hang my hammock, the "foot end high" thing isn't so important, though I do usually hang it a few inches higher.

I wish I could sleep on my back, but I can't. Not in a hammock, not in a bed, not in a tent, and not in a car. Haven't been able to since college. But don't let that stop you from exploring hammocks. My worst night in a hammock - when it was 15° colder than any weather forecast said it would be and the wind was blowing directly into my tarp end and I was wearing everything I brought with me and woke up every 40 minutes all night was still better than my best nights on a pad in a tent. I'll never go back again if I don't have to. I've spent 4 nights in the woods in my hammock in just the last month and found a comfortable spot on my left side with my feet pulled up both times. Here's the setup from 2 weekends ago in the White Mountains.

IMG_20170715_170231.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I started out a little over a year ago now with a table cloth hammock I made. From there it was a progression to 3 different Equip hammocks from Walmart, and then to a Henessy Expedition and finally my XLC and 11' diy argon. I've slept in one every night for the past year now and idk if I can ever go back to a bed or the evil cold hard ground again lol. Most nights I fall asleep on my back and sleep so soundly I don't move at all. So much so that I've got to put a small pillow under my heels to keep them from going numb. Hammocks aren't for everyone, but give it a try and yourself the chance to find your groove as Shug said, you'll be glad you did. It can be a lot to take in : hang angles, suspensions, argon, hexon, whipping, bug nets and the list goes on.... Ask questions and experiment! The first one you try might not be the one for you, don't give up on it! Like slug said, very few who switch end up going back. It can be an addiction if your not careful lol., But most of us have the bug though so your in good company.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I sleep like you describe (side, legs up, etc) and the gathered end hammocks have been great for that.

When you first start out, you will probably be more aware of moving around, but as you hang more often, it becomes second nature to change positions. Just grab some of the hammock fabric and move around as needed. The first couple times I went I didn't sleep as many hours as I would in a tent, but I woke up feeling more refreshed and didn't have the aches and pains that come from sleeping in the ground.

I had a WBRR and sent it back as I couldn't pull my legs up and couldn't adopt my sleeping style to only be on my back or side. Good hammock, just not for me.

I currently have an XLC and love it. It's my go to (well, that and my Lite Owl). I suggest the XLC over the shorter WBBB even if you aren't as tall as the XLC recommends.

Enjoy the woods.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly or Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Some who toss and turn end up sleeping very still in a hammock in time.
    Shug is right. I sleep much more "still" in a hammock than in a 'real' bed.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    It sounds like you sleep much like I do. Knees tucked, on my side, this way and that throughout the the night. I find the pad in the bottom of the gathered end actually adds some value to the system by adding a little structure to the floor of the hammock. I keep my pad slightly under inflated.

Charlotte

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hilleberg UL10
    Insulation
    UQ TQ
    Suspension
    I like whoopie
    Images
    I'm also new to hammock camping and had the same concerns as you. I bought a Blackbird xlc and the first full night camping was glorious. I move a lot in bed at home but in the hammock, I move little to none. Get a good hammock to start with and do some test hangs in the yard. Remember to budget for an under quilt. I think the zeppelins are still on sale at underground quilts.

Have fun. Scooter.

Huge thanks to everybody that took the time to reply to me. I think I'm going to go with the advice from many of you and try out a GE hammock as opposed to jumping (off of?!) into a bridge hammock right off the bat. It's encouraging to hear from others that side sleeping is doable, starting off with a pad won't be the end of the world, and I may actually get more than a few minutes of sleep in a row outdoors! I do love to camp and backpack, and am very hopeful that this will be a lasting solution to the only real hurdle I have faced with these activities. On that note, I am off to order a BBXLC. Wish me luck! I'm sure once it arrives I will have a million more questions for all of you experienced hangers!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Congrats. You should love this hammock as it's one of the best available. Let us know when you get it and give us a review on how you like it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12