WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Spindrift Foot end Zipper

On a previous thread ("Warbonnet Tough"), I had mentioned having a zipper installed on the foot end of my Spindrift. A couple of you asked about it and if I could post some pics. Well, here you are!

Double door Spindrift. Can you see the zipper on the foot end?
    IMG_0352[1].jpg

Closer up
    IMG_0347[1].jpg

Zipper open. You can see the foot end spreader bar.
    IMG_0348[1].jpg

One of the primary reasons I wanted a foot end zipper was to be able to put a foot pad in when I use a 3/4 underquilt. (I'm actually pulling the foot pad out, but you get the idea.)
    IMG_0361[1].jpg

Foot pad in between the layers. It is a Thermarest Z pad that that I cut down to foot pad size. Without the zipper it would be near impossible to put a foot pad in if you are using the Spindrift.
    IMG_0351[1].jpg

The zipper has nothing to do with installing or removing the Spindrift.

With some gymnastics maneuvering you can get the foot spreader bar in and also attach the underquilt carabiners. (Helpful hint--attach the carabiners BEFORE putting on the footbar.) Without the zipper you'd have to do all this through the side doors. Honestly if I were using the Spindrift regularly I'd leave the UQ attached and save me the hassle of taking it off and putting it on.

The Spindrift is a bit of a pain in the elbow to put on and take off. My plan is to eventually purchase a netless Ridgerunner (when they are on sale so hint hint) and leave the Spindrift on basically full-time.

If I were using a full length pad I'd try and get a zipper on the head end. One important consideration is to make sure you can get your pad through the zipper. So if you have a 26" wide pad I'd see if I could get a 27"-30" zipper. The picture below shows about where the bottom layers of the hammock are and where I'd try and get the zipper. I don't know enough about sewing and stuff so you'd have to talk to the experts at Warbonnet about what's doable.
    IMG_0358[1].jpg

Overall I'm about 70% happy with with the zipper. It's useful, but not quite as convenient as I hoped. But I'm glad I have it. As I mentioned it would be difficult if not impossible to put a foot pad in without it.

It cost me an extra $30 to have it added.

If you have any other questions let me know.
    Last edited by drsolarmolar; 07-23-2017 at 20:36.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I am able to get a wide pad in quickly when motivated. It required some practice.
    Now I am no longer a pad person.
    My RR is netless because I do not luke being enclosed.
    With my two door Spindrift I find putting the UQ then Spindrift a P.I.T.A. especially since I use it year around. I tried leaving the UQ on, however, I found the quilt could not air out enough to suit me. I was playing with adding zippers. The probIem is I know some of our group have added zippers and were not pleased with the result. So I have not moved forward with the project.
    Thank you for posting the images of your Spindrift.

Hammock
    WBRR or Clark North American
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Reaper
    Suspension
    Cinch/Helios/Atlas
    Thanks for the pictures and the idea. Awesome!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I was thinking if the pad were only partially inflated you could probably get it in if you folded it some even if the zipper wasn't the same width as the pad.

I can get my Lynx on and off with the Spindrift on. The end zipper makes that a bit easier. Not as easy as with no Spindrift though. It is a bit of a P.I.T.A.

• + New Posts