Why won't this work?

So i was thinking about hammock insulation and integrating a hammock and a store bought sleeping bag together to eliminate the need to buy a hammock, an underquilt and an overquilt for use in cold weather.

what if you built a very narrow hammock, lets say 30" wide and took a sleeping bag and cut holes in "neck" and "heel" of the mummy part. now thread the hammock through the holes in the bag, hop in and sip it up. obviously you'd have to sleep on your back but i keep having this gut feling there is something else i'm missing as to why this wont work?

I know someone will be able to point out the flaw(s) in this design other than it being pretty unstable becasue of how narrow it is.
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. ~George Smith Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Most obvious thing to me would be shoulder squeeze. I don't think you'd be very comfortable, but I'm sure people smarter than me will chime in soon.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    People have done that before...it's basically a cheap DIY version of Ed Speer's PeaPod. The issue is finding a sleeping bag large enough to accommodate the hammock inside. Which in turn leads to the same issue (IMO) that the PeaPod has - unnecessary weight. But I've seen the idea work.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Yeah I'm thinking shoulder squeeze and splat. The splat being you hitting the ground after rolling off of the hammock and ripping through the sleeping bags. Others have done that. I think there is a pic somewhere on WB showing someone doing that.

I think you would still need a top quilt of some kind.

If you are going to try this, why not a wide hammock. My 60" wide hammock conforms pretty close to my body when I am in it.

I think it would work, it might not be the lightest way to go though. You would need a pretty big rectangler sleeping bag and still need a top quilt. I don't see why it wouldn't work though.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    If you try this keeping the length to about 8ft is more important than the width. This is how I do my setup. It will not work with every sleeping bag. You actually need a tapered bag to keep from getting a cold spot in the foot end. I can still sleep on a slight asym or on my side. A small hole in the foot end (ropesize) and a tarp clip with a short bungee on the head end will keep the bag in position. The North Face Flight series bags in the long version have worked best for me. The weight of these bags can hold their own in comparison to other setups. It is not the popular choice but it does work.
    Last edited by hangnout; 06-29-2007 at 17:46.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There are some pics of that at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html

It can work if your bag is big enough, but I wouldn't try a 30" wide hammock.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i've been using a 48-50" wide hammock for quite a while & like it. that width might help w/ trying the sleeping bag/pea pod.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    i've been using a 48-50" wide hammock for quite a while & like it. that width might help w/ trying the sleeping bag/pea pod.
    Mine are this size also. If you making a DIY hammock for your sleeping bag make the sides with a little more slack than normal. If the sides of the hammock are too high it creates an air space between your chest and bag that is harder for your body to heat. I kept re-working mine until it gave me the best fit for my bag. I usually do not promote this setup even though I use it because it will not work with just any hammock and bag. TEST, TEST, and TEST some more before going into any cold weather. When you test in your backyard make sure you stay in for the night not just an hour or so.

• + New Posts