DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa

AT from Sams to Erwin

Over the weekend 3 of us did Sams Gap to Erwin. Water was generally available except not so good between Big Bald and Spivey Gap. Definitely carry a bit extra. Hammock was GREAT for this section. Used my Hammeck hammock with my fleece sleeping bag liner (no bag) and my DIY Sumderquilt with 1/2" insulation. Weather was poor Sunday with rain and thunderstorms, but it kept the heat off of us through some tough climbs.

https://theosus1.wordpress.com/2017/...t-summer-hike/
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Sorry to hear of your struggles and happy to hear about your successes. I had a similar experience on a hike last August but it was a much shorter hike. I got so dehydrated that both my legs cramped to the point I couldn't walk the last mile and I was seriously wondering if I was going to get out of the gully I was hiking in. All this happened despite me drinking 4 liters of water in a 5 mile hike. I was profusely sweating to the point that my shoes were filling with sweat. I too couldn't eat anything and unfortunately I couldn't sleep either as the nights low was 82 and very humid. That will never happen again as long as I live. Congrats on getting this done.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Sorry to hear of your struggles and happy to hear about your successes. I had a similar experience on a hike last August but it was a much shorter hike. I got so dehydrated that both my legs cramped to the point I couldn't walk the last mile and I was seriously wondering if I was going to get out of the gully I was hiking in.
    I had something like this happen in cold weather about a year ago... I figured it was because in the cold I'm still losing water but don't feel like drinking as much. It was in the high 30s/low 40s and blowing wind all day. I tried to eat that night and threw up.
    I have tried to drink a lot on subsequent hikes, but this one just got me. I was sweating all day long, and despite drinking what I thought was even too much, I just couldnt keep up.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Thanks for the report. I did Spivey to Erwin a few weeks ago as a day hike and need to do Allen Gap to Spivey next. I'll make sure to bring some extra water.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”
    John Muir

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    CCF Pad/ENO Blaze
    congrats on the big mileage. I often have a hard time eating my first few days on the trail, too. I've been going stoveless on my solo trips for the past few years. I've found that I just don't have much of an appetite for a few days, and i'll actually eat more if I don't have to go through the chore of cooking. I usually bring some sort of yummy junk food... something enticing enough when I need something on my stomach.

• + New Posts