Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images

Snaps on cuben fiber tarp?

Will cuben fiber hold snaps securely if it's reinforced? I was thinking a 1 inch strip along the seam of my doors ( HG standard cuben w/doors) to reinforce and 2 or 3 snaps to close them instead of the usual cross over flap. Perhaps the reinforcement strip could be a slightly thicker material. I'm also thinking of other clips and such.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Images
    I would guess yes. If it works, that might be pretty sweet. Then again, I've never needed to "close" my doors that tight.

The tie outs on my tarp are reinforced, but the loops themselves are still just cuben.
    After six years of wear and tear, they are still going strong.

If this works, that peak you form would be a great place to hang your pack out of the weather. It might be so heavy that it pops the snaps back open if it's hanging straight down. You might need a tie out up to your ridge line or somewhere maybe.
    To clarify... I'm thinking attach the loop on the top of the pack to your suspension with something like a soft shackle. With a short guyline, pull the bottom of the pack in towards your hammock so it's not hanging straight down against the angled tarp doors.
    If the pack is light and empty, it might not need it.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I have a UGQ winter dream with snaps on the doors and really like it. I camp a lot in winter and with the flap over doors, stiff winds can push through. Snaps keep the wind out a lot better and any possible precipitation. I was playing around with my tarp yesterday and got to thinking it'd be nice to have snaps on it. I don't want to wreck my tarp by doing so though. I'm imagining 3 snaps. One about 8 inches from the top to allow a gap for the suspension, one about a foot below that and one at the bottom. I could snap it shut then use the D rings to guy it straight down if needed. Probably over thinking, but I like to try new things. To guy out the bottom D rings, I was thinking a dutch whoopie hook. hook a D ring on each side and then have chock cord looped through the hole on the other end going to a stake.
    I like that idea for the pack. I have a loop of amsteel and a mini biner I use to hang my pack from the suspension, but never thought about pulling it in closer to the hammock with a guy line. That's a cool idea. I may have to rig something this weekend.....
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I think (probably wrong ) that you'll have a a bit of flapping in the wind if you don't guy out the doors in some fashion.

Hammock
    tttm
    Tarp
    dd
    Insulation
    snug pak uq
    Suspension
    self made
    Images
    might not be the best option if u want to use for a long time.

Images
    I sure wish HG didn't make their doors so tiny, if they were similar to the superfly doors, there wouldn't be an issue. I have to get my tarp pitched really steep just to get the doors to remotely close, it's frustrating. I wonder though if you use a tiny hook and loop, you wouldn't damage the tarp. Get a tiny hook from Dutch, tape it to one door, and on the opposite door, place a piece of cuben tape either like they do the door tie-backs, or simply tape a small loop of string to attach the hook to. Did that make any sense? That way, you can always remove the tape if it doesn't work out, and you won't have another tarp with holes in it. (HA)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    You can always buy some cuban and add to the existing doors to make them bigger. Might have to doing so to one of my cuban tarps
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts