Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Insulation
    Diy oq, uq, apex
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I guess I'll chime in I've had a couple different styles and makes but I've def. settled in on a dutchwear hexon 11ft netless. With notty mods on both sides foot end only and quilt hangers. I use a seperate bottom entry net .that allows me to easily reach and make any adjustment to quilt throuoytcthe night etc. I much prefer this to an integrated net.cinch buckles with kevlar/poly straps (white and black ones) with titanium clips for less stretch. All you would have to do is order the double layer instead. I'm pretty sure you can do all of this for right over or right under your price total. With this set up I'm very happy no longer am searching for a different set up and no longer waffle on which set up to take I automatically take this every time.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    They are definitely worth it in terms of comfort, quality, weight, and the cottage vendors stand behind their products if you ever have any issues.

Thanks for the advice! It's good to know that the smaller vendors stand behind their products, and that the premium you pay is worth it.

With that said, I will pose a thought, and it is just a thought. You mentioned you wanted to save some money along the way and wanted to keep your hammock and not buy one to just throw out later. My thought is a DL from Warbonnet. You can get the full set up Blackbird, or start simpler, like I am, with the Traveler. I used an ENO bugnet I picked up awhile ago when the bugs are furious--I live in NH near the AT--I don't need it that often, I have found. The DL will allow you to put in some Reflectix or a pad between the layers--I find most that have gotten to the hammock stage have a bunch of ground gear in their sheds and basements.
    I hadn't really considered the Warbonnet Traveler, but that would actually be cheaper than the ENO Reactor even for the DL 1.7 version. I wonder if having the bug net pre-attached (and the other features) would be worth the additional cost of getting the Blackbird over the Traveler.

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post

I just like saying the name... "Warbonnet Blackbird XLC..."

In addition to the XLC (top), also consider...

Simply Light Designs Trail Lair (middle)
    Dutchware Chameleon (bottom)
    kitsapcowboy -- if I dug enough, I would probably find your thoughts on all these in forum posts--can you summarize, nothing long, which you like of these? Maybe one is better for one type of camping over another---maybe all good. Or even, maybe, do you simply flip a coin to know which to bring, they are all great?
    Last edited by heyduff; 07-27-2017 at 13:36.

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Maswasnos View Post
    I hadn't really considered the Warbonnet Traveler, but that would actually be cheaper than the ENO Reactor even for the DL 1.7 version. I wonder if having the bug net pre-attached (and the other features) would be worth the additional cost of getting the Blackbird over the Traveler.
    I will be honest--I hate bug nets. If I know the bugs will be bad, I bring my Dutch Half-Wit single layer 1.7--bugs mean hot temps, so I have a simple Thermarest thermal underblanket, thin, very light that I take. But if I can go without a bug net, I do.

The Blackbird with the attached net gives you a gear shelf inside that many like...I haven't had/tried one, but I find I can hang a things over my ridgeline and that works out fine.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Not to make your decision even harder, but I'd also throw the Dream Hammock Raven into the discussion. It is incredibly modular, and is well-priced at $165 for bug net and winter top cover- $115 if you only need the bug net. It's a very unique design, and I've had zero issues with bug protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Brunay View Post
    The Trail Lair from Simply Light Designs is a great hammock.
    Thanks, I'll check them out!

I guess I'll chime in I've had a couple different styles and makes but I've def. settled in on a dutchwear hexon 11ft netless. With notty mods on both sides foot end only and quilt hangers. I use a seperate bottom entry net .that allows me to easily reach and make any adjustment to quilt throuoytcthe night etc. I much prefer this to an integrated net.cinch buckles with kevlar/poly straps (white and black ones) with titanium clips for less stretch. All you would have to do is order the double layer instead. I'm pretty sure you can do all of this for right over or right under your price total. With this set up I'm very happy no longer am searching for a different set up and no longer waffle on which set up to take I automatically take this every time.
    Their hammocks are pretty affordable and I like how much customization they offer, I'll definitely consider them as well.

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Not to make your decision even harder...
    rweb82: I laughed, those initial statements mean what follows is exactly that...you are right! Dream Hammock is a great way to go, too. Plenty of ways to not go wrong...

Maswasnos: A little additional thought...you will get a good hammock, no doubt. Think ahead to what you are going to do with it and in what temps. What would you want to buy after you get the initial hammock setup to add-on? I am not trying to sell you on a double layer, but a DL will allow you to put inexensive insulation under you until you want to plunk down some serious dough on UQs--those are awesome--almost magic--but magic can get pricey quick. Just adding in that part...a DL 1.1 is just a few ounces more than a SL 1.7 and gives you options.
    Last edited by heyduff; 07-27-2017 at 13:45.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by heyduff View Post
    kitsapcowboy -- if I dug enough, I would probably find your thoughts on all these in forum posts--can you summarize, nothing long, which you like of these? Maybe one is better for one type of camping over another---maybe all good. Or even, maybe, do you simply flip a coin to know which to bring, they are all great?
    As you can see in the photo, I own and use all three hammocks. Which is best for you depends upon your priorities, but all are top quality...

To summarize, succinctly, my opinions...

XLC -- Most innovative, most unique

Trail Lair -- Most bang for the buck, most customizable

Chameleon -- Most versatile, most modular
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    As you can see in the photo, I own and use all three hammocks. Which is best for you depends upon your priorities, but all are top quality...

To summarize, succinctly, my opinions...

XLC -- Most innovative, most unique

Trail Lair -- Most bang for the buck, most customizable

Chameleon -- Most versatile, most modular
    Thanks--as I suspected, they are all good choices, really.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    For the OP (original poster). As you can see there are several hammocks that get a lot of positive mentions on here and any of these would be a good option over what you would find in a store like REI. As some have said in the past pay once cry once and you should be set for a long while.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast