Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    No not that!

My bad; it just seemed like it should be. However, I do feel like some kind of junkie. A slave to the machine.

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I read something that said "If you look at your sewing machine like a big piece of Crack, you're on your way".
    Hi All
    Can someone please explain that bit to me, it sounds a bit dodgy to me.
    Thanks
    Gunn
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunn parker View Post
    Hi All
    Can someone please explain that bit to me, it sounds a bit dodgy to me.
    Thanks
    Gunn
    Sorry for the US-specific terminology there...

What I meant was that making your own gear can be as addictive as illegal drugs. An exaggeration, of course, but used to make a point.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Everyone knows crack kills.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    My dad recently gave me a huge (about 30' X 40') poly tarp that he had used as a temporary roof over his house/construction site while building. Parts of it have seen some hard use and show serious wear, but there's a portion of it (a roughly rectangular area about 19' X 13') that's in good shape.

I was wondering if it would be possible to cut a catenary tarp, Black Cat style, out of the good area. Would it work? Would I have to cut it into a hexagonal shape first, cut that in half, and then rejoin the two halves to make it truly catenary?

Aside from whether it would work, it this a good idea? On the downside, this thing is heavy as hell, and it's that typical baby-blue tarp color; I'll look not so much like a hammocker as a consturction site. I also imagine this thing is very loud in wind and rain. On the plus side, it's compltely waterproof and I got it for free.

In the end, I might just donate this thing. Maybe the local little league can cover their very tiny infields or something. But before I do that, I thought I'd ask: Any thoughts from the DIY catenary crowd?
    Im sure you could make a cat cut tarp out of it. I've made a diamond tarp out of bits and pieces of blue tarp and it worked fine. The only downside is you have to sew and glue/seal the seams with silicone sealant(specially the ridgeline seam). Do not dilute the silicone sealant with mineral spirit or gasoline b/c it will weaken the seams structurally. Remember that your sealant is also your glue. If you hate sewing you can always ask or pay somebody to do it.

Images
    If you make a cat tarp, I don't see any need to cut it in halft just rto resew it. I may be wrong, But I think that you will be just fine using 1 large piece of material for the whole tarp. Plus that way you will have no sewing to worry about.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    stock JH tarp
    Insulation
    CCF and body fat
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    If you make a cat tarp, I don't see any need to cut it in halft just rto resew it. I may be wrong, But I think that you will be just fine using 1 large piece of material for the whole tarp. Plus that way you will have no sewing to worry about.
    What I was wondering (beside from whether I want to do any of this in the first place) was whether the joining of the two halves in Black Bishop's directions is a necessary part of the catenary shape. I might be wrong, but I thought joining the two halves imparted a certain curve to the seam and that is part of what makes the catenary shape. BB's directions mention the halves as trapezoids, but I seem to remember my mom telling me that "You always end up with some curve out of the [sewing] machine." Of course, she may have just been making excuses for why my clothes didn't fit right or looked like thrift store fire-sale seconds.

As to the frayed edge, I could always duct-tape it. Then I'll REALLY look like a fugitive from the trash heap. It would add lots of fun extra weight as well.

As for getting into DIY sewing, no thanks. I know how you pushers work. First one's free, right? The the next thing I know, I'm curled up on the bathroom floor cuddling a sewing machine and mumbling incoherently about catenary vs. parabolic curves. I choose (a sewing-free) life.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    The the next thing I know, I'm curled up on the bathroom floor cuddling a sewing machine and mumbling incoherently about catenary vs. parabolic curves.
    You say that like it's a bad thing.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    What I was wondering (beside from whether I want to do any of this in the first place) was whether the joining of the two halves in Black Bishop's directions is a necessary part of the catenary shape. I might be wrong, but I thought joining the two halves imparted a certain curve to the seam and that is part of what makes the catenary shape. BB's directions mention the halves as trapezoids, but I seem to remember my mom telling me that "You always end up with some curve out of the [sewing] machine." Of course, she may have just been making excuses for why my clothes didn't fit right or looked like thrift store fire-sale seconds.

As to the frayed edge, I could always duct-tape it. Then I'll REALLY look like a fugitive from the trash heap. It would add lots of fun extra weight as well.

As for getting into DIY sewing, no thanks. I know how you pushers work. First one's free, right? The the next thing I know, I'm curled up on the bathroom floor cuddling a sewing machine and mumbling incoherently about catenary vs. parabolic curves. I choose (a sewing-free) life.

The joining of the material is b/c of the width you can get the sil nylon. It comes in 60" or 66" widths. The shape is defined by the cuts on the sides.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

My recollection is that the ridgeline is straight. (well, as straight as hanging fabric under tension can be) some of the cat tarps professionally available have a cat cut ridgeline- as well as sides- to tauten (sp?) the pitch, but at some cost in flexibility of set up.
    just my .02 lira
    Betsy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast