Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    OP, you asked about comparable alternatives to WBBXLC with winter top cover. No one has mentioned Dream Hammock. There...I just mentioned them.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    OP, you asked about comparable alternatives to WBBXLC with winter top cover. No one has mentioned Dream Hammock. There...I just mentioned them.
    +1

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Black Mamba or Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY Hex or WB Edge
    Insulation
    BanditTQ PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I went through the same process you are going through. (Before the Chameleon was even an option!) I ended up deciding on the Warbonnet XLC. I wanted a winter top cover and I ended up deciding to order it without one. For me, adding it pushed it a hair outside of my comfort zone. I have not wanted it or needed it since. In fact, I now GREATLY prefer to go without a bugnet at all if there are no bugs. When I know it's not buggy I use a DIY hyper D hammock. It's lighter and allows the crisp evening air on my face. I later bought two Dutchware Chameleons. Now I have to choose between the open air DIY, the Warbonnet XLC and the Chameleon... I say all that because it's a journey. Whatever you buy will likely not be your last hammock. I think the warbonnet XLC is an EXCELLENT starter hammock. The real question is whether you go with 1.1 or 1.7 and SL vs DL. (Of which my suggestion would be SL 1.7) Welcome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Black Mamba or Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY Hex or WB Edge
    Insulation
    BanditTQ PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by swalkerv View Post
    I went through the same process you are going through. (Before the Chameleon was even an option!) I ended up deciding on the Warbonnet XLC. I wanted a winter top cover and I ended up deciding to order it without one. For me, adding it pushed it a hair outside of my comfort zone from a cost standpoint. I have not wanted it or needed it since. In fact, I now GREATLY prefer to go without a bugnet at all if there are no bugs. When I know it's not buggy I use a DIY hyper D hammock. It's lighter and allows the crisp evening air on my face. I later bought two Dutchware Chameleons. Now I have to choose between the open air DIY, the Warbonnet XLC and the Chameleon... I say all that because it's a journey. Whatever you buy will likely not be your last hammock. I think the warbonnet XLC is an EXCELLENT starter hammock. The real question is whether you go with 1.1 or 1.7 and SL vs DL. (Of which my suggestion would be SL 1.7) Welcome!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle

NEHHA

Quote Originally Posted by tollermama View Post
    Hi, welcome and enjoy your BB XLC! I have a regular BB and I don't use a winter cover, I use the bugnet it adds some warmth. honestly putting a tarp down low is good enough for me at below 0 levels and I was so toasty. No problems with condensation. If you are going to really be way below zero the cover can add warmth definitely but a good winter tarp will cut the wind which is what you want. I have the Superfly and I love it. Get it in silpoly not nylon as nylon tends to stretch.

I see you are in Mass, hope you will be joining some of our hangs. Come to the fall NEHHA at Mohawk state forest in Charlemont to meet some very nice people. Hope to see you around.
    Thanks! I will check out the fall NEHHA, great area of Massachusetts;Charlemont.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    what is "SL & DL"?

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Thank you all for the hospitality and advice. I'm taking a long look at the Chameleon. I did look at them before and I can't even remember why I leaned toward the Warbonnet.
    So many options with the Chameleon. What is the ideal fabric weight for an 180lb guy looking to backpack in the White Mountains. 1.6? I tend to like the not be seen if possible so I like the green/cammo combination. Herself, who theory wants to go along at some point likes to annouce where she is...idk bright orange or something. I guess if she goes also goes the stealth.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete02093 View Post
    what is "SL & DL"?
    Single Layer & Double Layer

Yes, love my Dream Hammock!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Go here to learn all the weird "names" we use https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mmock-Acronyms.

I own an XLC with the top cover but have not used it yet. Another hammock I have with a top cover has been used down to nine degrees and worked just fine. I used three thermometers on one cold camp out and it was 5 degrees warmer inside the hammock with the top cover than just outside under the fly and 10 degrees warmer than the reading I got from the thermometer out in the open about 50 feet away.

If you are using a top cover and condensation is an issue then you need to vent. May not totally eliminate the condensation but will help.

I do find a sock works better if it is windy as that cold wind will suck the warmth right out of your set up if you can not block it.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12