Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30 degree angle

Quote Originally Posted by BigSky! View Post
    Herein lies the rub (small as it may be). A 30 degree angle and, additionally, a/the hang calculator are a very good starting point when emplacing a ridgeline for the first time. Even that will be trial and error. Once that is set to your desired comfort level of sag, subsequent hangs can be modified (height of attachment, length between attachment points, etc.) simply by gauging the sag of the ridgeline.
    That's why I love having a SRL.. Makes it really easy to set up the hang, I just shoot for some, but minimal, tension on the RL.

Quote Originally Posted by Chili_TX View Post
    That's why I love having a SRL.. Makes it really easy to set up the hang, I just shoot for some, but minimal, tension on the RL.
    Exactly.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
    John Steinbeck

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I slept in the woods last night in the WBBB 1.1DL with the ridgeline more to the slack side.It was quite comfortable.

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'
    That makes sense. When I noticed it the trees were about 25 feet apart. It was a perfect spot other than that so I couldn't resist.

Thanks.

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'
    Cool! Thanks.

Hammock
    HH Jungle Explorer Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex Asym SN
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili_TX View Post
    I enjoyed the fixed RL in my HH so much that I put one on my son's Trek Light double. Having the RL in there makes it super easy, even for an 11 year old who is challenged by details (aren't we all?) to get a good hang every time. And it eliminated having to hang a line over the hammock just for the bug net. Next he's going to want pockets to hang stuff in there. I think I might need to learn how to sew, or make him learn how to sew.

Hammock
    HH Exped+Leaf, DIY w/ KnottyMod
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY eventually
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    I find even with my Hennessy hammocks it is possible to hang it too tight. Just the way I lay I suppose. Getting closer to 30 degrees certainly helps get a more comfortable lay, especially getting rid of calf ridge. I like to be able to bend my RL to about 45deg in my fist.

Somehow I want to find a way to measure the hangle from within the hammock. I've done the "finger gun" thing with the tips of my finger and thumb along the RL, and see if my index points about the same angle as my suspension. Easiest done for the foot end. I might try setting things a little tighter unloaded, and then it can settle to 30 once I'm in it.
    --Evan

HH Expedition Asym Classic -- HH Leaf -- HH Cub Zip (for kids)
    I like DIY. Sewing, sailing, cycling, motorcycles...

Hammock
    Dutchware gear
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Jbend
    I love the ridgeline attached to my custom 10.5' dutchware hammock for many reasons, but mostly for the hangle one. Once the light dawned on me about the guitar string ridgeline tension, my hangs were more comfortable. I'm not sure what angle I'm hanging, but the ridgeline for me makes it easier for me to set up and not get the calf ridge. The advice about hanging your feet end higher, is excellent and was very helpful. I have color coded my head and foot end of my hammock, and that helps me save set-up time. I was also able to take note of what my suspension looked like when the hang was right, and with practice try to replicate it with every new set up. Everything gets easier with each new hang. Last year I swear it would take me 20+ minutes to get my hang right, and at my last backpacking hang it took me less than 5 minutes, including hanging the tarp. It's threads like this that were really helpful to me. Good luck with your future hangs.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Seconding all the posts about how helpful the ridgeline is. I didn't discover how comfortable a hammock was until after I added that. Even after I finally got a perfect 30* hang, the ridgeline still improved it.

I think the Dream Hammock video is my favorite that I've come across thus far that shows you how simple the ridgeline makes your suspension adjustments, because how the ridgeline feels when you get in the hammock actually indicates whether you need to lengthen/shorten and raise/lower. Really nice.

https://youtu.be/TFeKvHNRukg
    "From form to form, beauty to beauty, ever changing, never resting, all are speeding on with love's enthusiasm, singing with the stars the eternal song of creation."

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12