Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    C-burst, T-fly
    Insulation
    Pad,EE,WB,HG,LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Ridgerunner mod: quick release on corner buckles?

I am considering getting a Spindrift for my Ridgerunner to prepare for the upcoming colder weather. However, New England weather is fickle...it can be warm one day and pretty chilly the next...so I'd like the option to easily take the Spindrift on and off. I came up with an idea for a corner buckle "quick release" that would help, but I wanted to get the opinions of the great folks here on HammockForums:

I would take the dog bone off the hammock's corner buckle and add a Dutch clip to the end that had previously been attached to the corner buckle. I would then create a short (3 or 4") piece of Amsteel with a dog bone on each end. One end of that short piece would be attached to the corner buckle with a lark's head and the other end would attach to the Dutch clip. Repeat for all 4 corners. When I want to use the Spindrift, I just unclip the short piece from the Dutch clip, feed it through the hole in the corner of the Spindrift, and put it back on the Dutch clip.

Anyway, thoughts? The nice thing is that, if it doesn't work out, I just return everything to the original setup.

Steve

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    This could be interesting. The only thing that has kept me from buying a Spindrift is lack of ease of putting it on and taking it off.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Tewa Breeze
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I hope you figure it out. You'd think somebody would have figured it out by now...
    Palm made products a portrait of modern triumph

Images
    I made new dog bones out of dyneema, smaller diameter than the 7/64 amsteel. Then I got 2 Dutch biners and put them at the apex of each suspension triangle. I can undo the dog bones from the biners and thread them through the spindrift and back on the biner. I'M not home or I would take a picture and show you what I mean.
    Talmadge
    "GroundHog"

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    if you just take off the warbonnet buckles and connection triangle, you can use dutch beetle buckles or hammock fan strap anchors directly to the dogbones
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    I do a version of Groundhogs setup. I went with titanium cinch buckles with a dutch biner making the connection between the CL and the dogbones. Same principle of what he and Intimidator are suggesting. Just seemed simpler for easy on and off. I don't like storing my suspension with my hammock and also don't really care for doors so picked up a spindrift for fringe seasons/ winter. It retained the simplicity of the cinch buckle/warbonnet system but still gives me the full connection suspension my sanity graves
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The Terminator loves her RR's. I found after getting her a Spindrift sock ( with 2 doors ) that it was easier to buy her a second RR to leave set up in the sock. So know she has a netted RR for warm weather and a non netted RR that stays in the sock ready to go.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Groundhog and Imtimidator have suggested what I'd recommend. Instead of making your hammock more complex with extra dogbones and clips (if I understand your plan you'd be adding 8 more pieces--one short dogbone and one clip per spreader bar buckle) I'd go with removing the apex buckle and then use a carabiner as the link to attach the dogbones and suspension. Dutch has a nifty 3" carabiner rated to something like 2600 lbs which wouldn't require you doing anything to your existing dogbones and suspension other than swapping the apex buckle out. Thus you have a net change in parts of exactly zero. Keep it simple! Then when you want to put on or take off the Spindrift just unclip the dogbones from the carabiner and presto, you're good. The biggest pain in the earlobe to putting on or taking off the Spindrift is undoing and redoing the suspension. This takes care of all that in one easy, noncomplicated step!

That said it's your baby so if you want to experiment and try it out then go for it and let us know how it works!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    The Terminator loves her RR's. I found after getting her a Spindrift sock ( with 2 doors ) that it was easier to buy her a second RR to leave set up in the sock. So know she has a netted RR for warm weather and a non netted RR that stays in the sock ready to go.
    That's my plan...to eventually buy a netless RR and keep the Spindrift on more or less full time.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    C-burst, T-fly
    Insulation
    Pad,EE,WB,HG,LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by drsolarmolar View Post
    I'd go with removing the apex buckle and then use a carabiner as the link to attach the dogbones and suspension. Dutch has a nifty 3" carabiner rated to something like 2600 lbs which wouldn't require you doing anything to your existing dogbones and suspension other than swapping the apex buckle out. Thus you have a net change in parts of exactly zero.
    I like it - the net change would just be to swap each apex buckle with a different connector...very simple. In fact, after a little digging, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Dutch makes a Bridge Hammock Whoopie Hook that is actually specifically made for just this application! Post on HammockForums is here, including this picture:
    7b552e86a099e023bbaebad6cebb9a59.jpg

Thanks, HammockForum community!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast