Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch bling

One night on the Cumberland Trail at Prentice Cooper State Forest

~
    I finally got to go on my first solo, over night, hammocking trip a couple of weeks ago. My first trip was a 4 mile hike from the Cumberland Trail parking lot (in Prentice Cooper State Forest) to Popular Springs Campsite & Lawson Overlook. It was about 4 miles one way. The trail was listed as moderately strenuous. It was 90 degrees out and I was packing 42 pounds. I completely underestimated "moderately strenuous", the current trail conditions, how much water I needed, and what carrying an extra 42 pounds in those conditions can do to someone who is not in the necessary shape for such a trip. Needless to say, it was a bit much for my very first trip.

Not to be defeated, I went back out 2 days later for another over night trip. Back to the Cumberland Trail, back to Prentice Cooper State Forest, but this time a different route.

I had plans to stay at the Hemlock Branch campsite. From the CT parking lot it is about 5-1/2 to 6 miles, however, there is a Prentice Cooper Parking lot (near Snooper's Rock overlook) that was only 1 mile from the campsite. That's where I started.

I would list the trail to be moderately strenuous as well but it was just under 1 mile from my car to campsite.

I did lighten my load a bit this time as I figured out from the first trip there were several items that I just did not need to have in my pack (too many clothes, too much food, some extra gear that I was taking just to test out). This time, just the necessities for the one night to allow myself to get that successful solo, over night trip.

While it was about 5 degrees warmer this time I ended up in a campsite that was in a bit of a hollow (about 20 feet below the trail). I am not sure if this was the official campsite as I never saw any signs but it was a great little spot.

It ended up being a great stay. I had a nice breeze that ran along the side of the stream the entire time I was there. Not a soul was out on the trail that day but me. I had fun setting up the gear, cooking a meal, and just enjoying the moment of solitude in beautiful nature.

While I did not have my best camera gear I did manage to take a few pictures and videos. I put together my first ever video with the footage I captured. I thought I would share here in case someone needed to give away about 10 minutes of their life!

Essentially, I just wanted to report what a good time I had for my first ever trip (I had only been camping once in the past 30 years prior to this past week). Ultimately, Shug's videos and information from this forum are what got me to finally get out there and give it try. Whether you have all of the right gear or not, experienced or not, success or failure - just give a try!

Boy, I am I glad I did! Can't wait for the next one!

Last edited by mirrorslap; 08-03-2017 at 20:39.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood

One night on the Cumberland Trail at Prentice Cooper State Forest

Nice spot you found there. Looks like a good time. Gotta love that SPecial hAM

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Good job on the video. How were the trails in Prentice Cooper? Are they over grown? I like you tried a 6 mile section of the Savage Gulf last August and thought I was going to die. It was HOT and I am/was out of shape and it didn't turn out very well. Went back in the fall and did 9 miles with no issues at all. The heat and humidity are killers. I'll have to get back up that way one of these days as my wife and I were driving around Chattanooga last fall and happened upon this trail head and walked down to the stone door and into the large cliff at the bottom. It seems like a very nice area and I've been wanting to get back there to do an overnighter.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch bling
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    How were the trails in Prentice Cooper? Are they over grown?
    The trail from the CT parking lot to Popular Springs trail spur had quite the variety of conditions. The trail is traveled enough to have a good marking on the ground. It often got down to about the width of my size 13 boots side by side. In late July when I went (the 18th I believe) I made a mental note to myself that I bet a lot more of the trail would be overgrown in the next month unless it was heavily traveled.

The worst part about the trail were the big trees that had fallen across the trail. It was tough to walk above or below the trail as it travels along the side of the mountain (like the picture below - you have a pretty steep incline to your left and a steep decline to the right of the trail). Getting over, under, between, and around some of the fallen trees were some of the hardest parts of the trail for me especially when you have a heavy pack on you back!

The spur from the CT trail to the campsite was not very well traveled. I did manage to find the campsite and I knew the "popular spring" was about 300' from the campsite - I never found the spring. There was no traveled trail at all. I found a blaze or two on trees but because there was not a "trail" I essentially lost my way to the spring and had to turn back to camp.
    20170717 CT pic 0001.jpg

Now the trail from the Snooper's Rock parking lot was different. It was very well traveled. Hardly any portion of the trail had something hanging across the trail. Only had 1 fallen tree and it was a smaller, no branch portion of the tree (so no problem getting over it).

The nice thing about the Hemlock Branch campsite is that you can park close (if you want to) and make about 1/2 mile trip in the opposite direction from the parking lot and see the overlook at Snooper's Rock. It reminds me of Utah's Horseshoe Bend (w/o the greenery!).

20160914 Snoopers Rock 0001.jpg20160914 Snoopers Rock 0003.jpg20160914 Snoopers Rock 0002.jpg

I definitely want to go back and do the Popular Springs trail again but I will be in better shape and it will be cooler before I make my return visit. Lawson's overlook is south of the CT trail where the Popular Springs' campsite trail intersects and has room for a couple of hammocks to set up an unbelievable hang with a view (similar to Snooper's Rock overlook). That is where I intended to stay for the night but, to my dismay, it was already occupied so I stayed about 200' north of the overlook (not the actual Popular Springs campsite which is about 900' from the trail head intersection; I just found a clearing that had an already made fire pit and a couple of trees perfect for a hammock hang!).
    Last edited by mirrorslap; 08-03-2017 at 22:58.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    BMJ Spinn.& DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Nice video and photos, glad your solo went well. As mentioned in an earlier comment, that was a pretty site you had to spend the night. Thanks for posting.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    That's a beautiful spot. Looks like you had a great time.

• + New Posts