Hammock
    My NEXT project
    Insulation
    None! It'sTROPICAL

Question Moisture-wicking fabric and re-coating?

Slightly off the topic of hammocks but on the topic of DIY gear:

Do you know what the "special coating" is that improves a fabric's hydrophilic and hydrophobic properties?

I'm interested in making some clothing for hot, tropical climates. Moisture-wicking fabrics may be a good idea for me but I've heard that there are some drawbacks.

While brand new moisture-wicking fabrics will help transfer perspiration from your skin to the outer surface of the garment, which should speed up evaporation, I've heard that many of these fabrics have what manufacturers often call "a special coating" or "chemical treatment" that increases the efficiency of the fabric. Unfortunately, after a number of washes, this coating has a greatly reduced efficiency, or may even be washed away altogether!
    So much for your exspensive moisture-wicking shirt if it doesn't work as well after 10 washes or so! Who wants to buy a new garment every couple of weeks because the last one has 'stopped working'?

Manufacturers seem so secretive about what this coating is. Which makes me wonder if it is something that people can easily make or get their hands on themselves.

Furthermore, in addition to clothing, could it be applied to, say, the inner layer of a double layer hammock to prevent a sticky lay in hot, steamy weather? (Won't be a super-light weight fabric, I'd reckon but if it let's you wake up refreshed before hiking through the jungle; let the individual decide on their priorities)

Hammock
    11-foot Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ, bag
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    All I know for sure is that washing clothes made with synthetic wicking fabrics and using fabric softener messes up the wicking properties. Wash again without it and it's back to normal. The only chemical treatments on fabrics that I'm aware of are for water or fire resistance, or permethrin for bugs..

• + New Posts