Hammock
    My NEXT project
    Insulation
    None! It'sTROPICAL

What's your take on widening fabric?

I'm embarking on making my own gear and have some 61" wide parachute silk to play with.

I want to have a flat lie in the hammock and have heard that a wider hammock is generally more comfortable, so was considering sewing an extra strip of fabric onto each side to widen it.

I'm not concerned about the over all weight.

I'd like your input as to whether you think it would be at all comfortable sleeping with two seams in the hammock.

Also, if it wouldn't be too noticeable to be sleeping on said seams, what do you think of these cut patterns (in the attachment). Do you think that any of them would assist in giving a flatter lie in the hammock?

First option - simply sew on a straight piece of fabric to each side - the width alone may help make it more comfortable.

Second option - rather like some bridge hammock cuts: I've seen cat' cuts along the sides that make the hammock narrower in the middle, lengthwise. I suppose this gives it a flatter lie.

Third option - Add a LITTLE extra material near the head end, and MORE material at the foot end to create a kinda' footbox.

I'd love to hear your opinions as to which would work and why, and which won't and why.

Thanks,

J
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Not wild about seams personally. They stretch less than the single layer material, so you always feel the seam.
    I guess you could just add a foot wide strip onto your heel side, then the seam would only run under your calves.
    (I use a sit-pad for my heels and a knee pillow anyway, so wouldn't notice it)

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Tried this once. Like Gadget says, the seam was a continual annoyance.

An 11 ft hammock that is 5 ft wide should be comfortable. Recommend knotty mods on both sides at the foot end. I make adjustable ridge lines from lash-it. They are long whoopies made to be adjustable from about 75% to about 90% of the hammock length. Trial and error will find the sweet spot - a function of your weight and the fabric stretch, etc.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    If you want a wider hammock it's better to just get wider fabric to begin with. RBTR has XL fabrics and I imagine Dutch will be restocking or introducing a new wide fabric in the not too distant future.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I doubt that I would ever go to the trouble to widen fabric, but I sleep in a GT Double nightly; the seams don't bother me in the least.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

If a flat lay is your goal, I don't think parachute silk is your best option. It stretches a lot compared to hexon or robic i think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    My NEXT project
    Insulation
    None! It'sTROPICAL
    Thanks, all.

devoncloud: you're absolutely right -- I ran up a normal sized hammock with the parachute silk. I was like laying in one of those really thin plastic bags that are almost see-though Well, it was the only material I had laying around at the time, so.....

Back to ripstop. And I'll cannibalize the parachute silk hammocks for something else.

• + New Posts