Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs up Mason Dixon Trail day hike & clean up Trip Report.... D

Since signing on to maintain the section of the M-DT that runs from the Susquehanna river to Elk Neck State Forrest here in northeastern Maryland, I haven't had a chance to get out and do a once over of the trail to see what needs done and what condition its in. So I had my wife drop me off while she ran errands so I could do a small section that goes through Perry Point Veterans Hospital and Perryville here on my side of the Susquehanna river where the trial picks up again after crossing. With a small day pack, map, compass, a few small tools, blaze paint and a full camelback I set out, starting at historic Rodgers Tavern, a frequent resting spot for George Washington on his rides to and from Virginia, Philadelphia and during the Revolution. The VA hospital with its spacious Greenaway's and panoramic views of the Chesapeake and Susquehanna is where the main part of my hike took place. The trail follows an old road on the edge of the property through a green tunnel of vegetation and across 2 large spacious meadows as I moved away from the breeze coming off the large open body of water behind me and into a still, super humid , buggy Forrest in front of me. I had my blaze paint at the ready and touched up several faded blazes. But my luck being as awesome as it is, I had just sprayed a blaze on a sign post when I looked over my shoulder and what did I see? The Federal Police of course! What perfect timing I have lol ! Once I realized that he was indeed driving up the grass field to catch someone vandalising Federal Government Property, I dropped my trekking poles so he didn't think I was walking towards him with 2 pointed spears, dropped the spay can and with my hands out palms up, walked over to assure the responding officer that I wasn't defacing govt property and what I was really doing there. He was cool about the whole thing and thanked me for not making him draw down on me since it looked to him at first that I was armed and tagging a sign lol. Turned out he knows my wife since she works at there at the VA in finance and once I gave him all my info so he could pass it on to the other cops on duty that day , we talked for a few about hiking , the trail and hammocks lol. Once he left I continued on through the VA, back around to where I started , then checked all the blazes that go through the town of Perryville and out to where they start on this side of the Susquehanna. It was beyond humid today and I was soaked throughout, but it was worth it to get out on the trail and make sure its in good shape for others to enjoy. Here's a pic looking out towards the mouth of the Susquehanna and Chesapeake bay, and another of the tunnel of green.

IMG_20170812_114627.jpgIMG_20170812_120026.jpgIMG_20170812_121748.jpg
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Alot of history. Thanks for your efforts. Glad you dropped your poles lol

• + New Posts