Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0

What Ever Happened To "Roughing It"?

Bored on Sunday morning, and this post came about because I just read one about a first-timer who cobbled together a UQ for his second night in a hammock... right out there in the wild!
    I am one of those crazies who thinks jury-rigging or bushcraft solutions to what you encounter out in the backwoods is exactly why you go there in the first place.
    I seems to me around here lately all we do is suggest folks spend money on better, funkier equipment.

We seem to have gotten really effete and self-satisfied about how comfy camping [of whatever nature] is supposed to be.
    I know I am not the only one of my age on the boards, and I can actually remember times when going camping meant being less comfy than staying at home, and probably meant you were gonna get wet. Tents were canvas, as were packs. Tents leaked [Duh!], packs and boots were heavy. Nothing was freeze-dried... dinner was a the BIG can of Dinty-Moore[26oz. right there!]. Rope was hemp or that evil, stretchy paracord, and we carried 40-50 lb packs without complaint. We wore cotton and wool and didn't die. You went out in the woods to tough it out, and toughen up.

I know newer tech is lighter, arguably better etc. I know there is no reason to make yourself uncomfortable if you don't have to.
    But what happened to us all to make us think you can only have a good outdoors experience if you've got ALL the latest, greatest, lightest, bestest, and that we shouldn't leave home with more than a 15lb "base-weight"?

3...2...1... GO!
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Images
    I did all those things in the late 60's boyscouts because I did not know any better. Now I know what works and what doesn't.
    I don't go to the woods to rough it or bushcraft I enjoy my outings with all my high tech hammock gear much better.
    Could I survive without it? Sure but it would suck and my days in the woods are too valuable to.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 08-13-2017 at 09:25.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Just because I can do something doesn't mean I should. In my case, I've roughed it and like OutAndBack says, we learn some of that in scouts, etc... But now when I want to get a lot of miles in during the day it means I need to rest and recover overnight, and it means that I can do more with a lighter pack.

Kind of like with any technology - could I get along without an automobile? Sure! Is my life a lot better with the access it provides? I suggest that most of us would completely agree that going back to horses would be awfully inconvenient and we would choose not to "rough it" in that way. But for those of us who want to go riding, or who make it their lifestyle, no one is criticizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there is a difference between roughing it and being plain stupid.

I have been on outings and been cold. Did I die? No. Did I remember to pack a blanket the next trip? Yes.

For me it is a continuous learning experience of what works for you and the minimum you need to enjoy it rather than suffer it.

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk
    If you don't live life to the limit, how will you know when you overcome your own?

Hammock
    Bearded Hanger
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    LLG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Agree with jms53. You don't have to spend a ton of money to get stuff that works well. Lightweight equipment can be within reach and make your experience in nature that much better. I'm not a gram weenie but I did learn what I could cut down on to make my experience more enjoyable, and that is the point.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Nice thread, Flash. Let's weave a few hammocks in here so it doesn't get moved.

My days of roughing it are behind me now. I do what I can to make these old bones comfortable, and extend my years in the woods. Hammocks are a central part of that...they have kept me where my heart is.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Thx, Gringo... so, to toss in a hammock-ish comment....
    My first [camping style] was one of these>>

Fi-dollah at the Army-Navy, back in the early sixties when you got old surplus army and navy stuff at an Army-Navy store.
    Rubberized canvas top, about eleventy-seven hundred clews to untangle each time, gawd knows the weight, but awful fun when you're 12.
    Rats got it one winter.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Onewind 11ft zippered
    Tarp
    TW Sargasso
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I sort of agree but I got a hammock to go hand in hand with my bushcrafting. The addition of a hammock already gives you an element of luxury over a lean to shelter and a mouth full of spiders. If you check any bushcraft forums they spend a fortune on knives, kuksa etc rather than making them. Having said that I have always made a case for inexpensive kit but am now saving for a higher end hang.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    I don't care about the base weights and have been out without a lot of the gear. I honestly think I have more fun playing with the doodads and widgets than anything else. I'm just a geek like that.
    (then again I'm still known to put on my rain jacket, bathing suit, find that little stream that only comes when it rains and make littlecdams and rivers to deflect it. Yeah, they wash away but they are simple fun)
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Building dams in ditches...great memories.

I learned most of what I know about erosion and deposition in bar ditches, long before I knew their names.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast