Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    My basic problem with any of the "slider" solutions for tarp-to-stake tieouts is the length of extra line needed.
    Ordinarily, LineLoks [and most other "sliders"] are knotted onto the line, and they then slip up-and-down, pulling an ever lengthening loop back through your tarp loop. Not only does this take extra line, but the LL is getting further and further away from your tarp... same thing here with the OP's use of whoopies.
    Our man Atrane showed me his solution at my first group hang. It is now my go-to set up. Alex's trick leaves the LL right off the edge of the tarp... you don't have to get wet to tighten your tie-outs... you just reach out from under... and stay dry.

Using the "Mini LineLoks" [works with the full size as well], instead of knotting, and then doubling the running end of the line through it, you put a loop ON it... this gets larksheaded to the edge loop on your tarp. Then you just pass a single line through the LineLoc FROM BEHIND TOP only...no real need to pass it thru the lower hole... that can add friction that is unneeded and makes it harder to use one-handed. The grip on the LL will hold perfectly fine with the over-the-top.
    This way 10' of line gives you a full 10' of tieout... and you don't get wet!
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by jms53 View Post
    ...I noticed my guy lines were getting ever more and more tangled up...
    There are easier solutions to this problem. If Whoopie Slings are what you'd prefer, go for it. It is your own hammocking experience that matters. If you are simply trying to find less tangly line, let us know what you are currently using and how long you make your guy-lines.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    There are easier solutions to this problem. If Whoopie Slings are what you'd prefer, go for it. It is your own hammocking experience that matters. If you are simply trying to find less tangly line, let us know what you are currently using and how long you make your guy-lines.

Good Luck
    I know that there are other solutions.

At the moment I have:
    -DD 3x3 tarp with 8 reflective paracord tie outs
    - Dutch hex cat cut tarp with tarp worms

On my second outing with the Dutch tarp a worm disappeared. In my eyes not a problem as the tarp is too small for my liking and will find its way to a FS group soon enough.

The 3x3 has guylines with linelocks and works fairly well. I was just hoping that with whoopies I could hide ~half the length inside the whoppie and therefore reduce tangling by half, remove the linelocks (which I can now use on different projects...)

Thank you all for the input! I will try making a couple of 1-1.5m whoopies and report back on my findings.

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk
    If you don't live life to the limit, how will you know when you overcome your own?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Amsteel for tarp guy lines? That's total overkill. Amsteel has a breaking strength of 650kg! Even the 230kg breaking strength of Lash-It/Zing-It is more than needed for a tarp. Also, you'll be carrying a lot more weight than necessary if you are going to use Amsteel.

Whoopie Slings for tarp suspensions have been tried, but they are not popular for a good reason: they're a PITA to loosen when under tension. You complain about tangled guy lines, which could be easily fixed by either wrapping them like this (which is the method I'm using) or using a stiffer line (like this). Whoopies made from Amsteel will tangle as well if you don't wrap them properly, so you're only adding new problems to your old ones.

I second Tarp / Hook Worms. I only got some last year, but I don't want to go back to my prusiked Lash-It guy lines anymore... I think they work with cheap polyester line as well. And I don't know how you can lose a Tarp Worm if set up properly. Unless the line breaks.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Whoopie slings on tarps are difficult to adjust after being tensioned.
    I agree - not a great use for whoopie slings in any weather. I started with marlin spike hitches to attach my stakes to my guylines, and have never found a reason to change.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I also use MSHs for my guy lines. Allows me to quickly put the stakes anywhere along the line I want and, when I'm packing up, just remove the stake and give a quick pull and no more knot.

Also allows me to tie off to trees or rocks if they happen to be in the right place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12