WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Raul_Perez:
    I find that in winter, I can get by with a warm but not super hot UQ if i use a pad with it. I have a thermarest with an r-value of 2.6. When i add it to my no sniv on the bottom and my no sniv topquilt, i can go down below freezing comfortably. Keep in mind i am wearing EXTRA THICK wool socks to sleep in, a balaclava w/ hat attached, and merino wool baselayers. The baselayers are rated 200 (icebreaker). Pads provide a great boost of temp, if you can learn to sleep on one-they are less comfy than an UQ. But they have allowed me to go lower without having to buy another expensive uq.

Im glad you had a a great time on your first winter trip! Before the summer comes try to do a few days. If you can stay out there for a few nights you will learn a great deal from having that extra time to perfect your setup. It will only get better!

Enjoyed the videos, thanks for the contribution to the forum!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I really enjoyed reading and watching your report especially since I just completed my first really cold winter hang with almost the same exact temps. (11 degrees) I had a full sized homemade UQ with a winged full length Wally Word pad and a zero degree bag. I wore heavy fleece pants on the bottom and reg long johns with Patagonia down sweater. I wore a neck gaitor and a NF Windstopper hat. I'm a cold sleeper but with this rig I stayed toasty all night....sleeping nine hours. I feel the pad with the wings really made the difference. Oh yeah...I also wore NF down booties to bed...critical in my opinion.

BTW...our ground was also frozen solid but I was able to easily secure my tarp by using 9" aluminum gutter nails as stakes. Just don't pound them in too far as they can be a real "B" to get out in the morning.

Again I really enjoyed the comparison. Loved the video too.

Miguel

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I was bored and out of curiosity I was checking the actual temps around the Bear Mountain area the night I did my first overnight winter hike. Turned out to be the coldest day and night of the month and my watch thermometer doesnt register lower than 15* so I guessed the temp it went to.... 11* that night was entirely wrong. It got down to 3* that night so I went lower than I thought.

Further solidifying how awesome the warbonnet sleep system is. I made it down to the rating.

January 30th, 2010

http://www.accuweather.com/us/ny/bea...mnyr=1-01-2010

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234