WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Raul, I don't know what your weight limitation is for your winter treks but why don't you try using both of your Yetis in temps below 20? You'd be adding 11 ... 12 ounces with the 3 season? Less than a pound for a good night's sleep. Might be worth experimenting with since you already have both.

And there's always the hot water bottle in a sock trick.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images
    Raul,

Great Trip Report!

Its one thing to go out the first time in winter. Its another to try new equipment for the first time. But then to do it alone? You are a braver man than I am.

We had the same experience with water problems at mount rogers. All the water froze in our bottles if you left them out of the hammock. It seemed everyone was sleeping with their boots and water to keep them warm for the am.

The water filters all don't work in the teens...the water freezes in the tubing and filter. The steripens don't work either. These things are surprises (like your stakes not working!) who would have thought?

I like the idea of the second UQ.

I enjoyed your report very much. What camera did you use and do you like it?

cooldays

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I use the Canon Powershot camera. It's about 3-4 years old with only 6 megapixles. They have one with about 12 megapixles I'm thinking of getting that one for my summer trip. As far as the camera itself really reliable and takes really good shots as you can see. Battery life is also wicked. with a 2GB card I can take 16 minutes of video.

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    any warbonnet quilt, other than the ones that are over a year old, should already have the appropriate amount of cord on them to provide the correct tension on a blackbird or traveler or any 10' hammock. if the quilt is up near the top of you head, it will vent, if it's down near your neck/shoulders it should be plenty snug. i don't believe it can gap at the foot end unless you have the shockcord running under your legs.

if you had a distinctive cold spot, that's a sign of an air gap/fit issue. if it was an even cool feeling, it's because you're at the limit of the quilt for you. i personally am a cold sleeper and will feel cold in the teens with a quilt that others take to below zero. in my experience, reaching the limit of a quilt is more of a slight dull cold that creeps up on you over time, my entire back will slowly get cool and then it will progress until my entire body is cold. a cold spot caused by an air gap feels quite different, it will be felt quicker and colder and be more localized in the area specific to where the leak/air pocket is (upper shoulders, under the knees, ect).

having the tieouts unstaked shouldn't do anything, neither should having one end of the hammock higher than the other.
    Thanks for this INFO WBGuy,,, very helpfull

Hammock
    Bankheadboy's Big EZ
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Good experience and excellent report. The 2nd UQ is a great idea.
    Ya done good,
    jjj

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo/ Golite
    Great report! I had a similar experence with the cold on Standing Indian Mountain back in October. Being cold makes it hard to get a good nights sleep. It was one of the most miserable nights I think I have ever had. Of course this was when I was still a tent sleeper. Thanks for all the insight.
    Keep on dreaming boy cause when you stop dreaming it's time to die- Blind Melon

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post

I believe I'm just a cold sleeper. Having the TQ and UQ rated at zero makes me believe I will have a very comfy sleep down to 20 degrees. A somewhat ok sleep at 15 degrees. And a fairly annoying sleep 10 degrees and below. If I go out again going below 20 degrees I will utilize the entire GG Thinlight pad for more insulation and I will add my Mountain Hardwear Conduit Bivy to the mix to ward off the frost on the TQ from my breathing condensation and to add 5 degrees of more heat.

This will go the same for my Summer set up. My 3 season Yeti will stay until the temps hit 45 degrees then I will switch out for my Winter Yeti.

My hike was an overall success. I learned my limitations with regards to my current sleep system, what to bring next time and what to leave home, and that even though my set up didnt keep me as warm as I would have liked going down to 10 degrees still kept me alive which is what it was designed for so I have to be thankful for that! And I was still only lugging around only 25.6 lbs which is totally awesome!!!
    This is great info as it just highlights the very wide variation in individuals. I just got done responding to Muskrat, who successfully used a 3 season Yeti and liner to 8F, with only the help of a fleece liner. That, and there are more and more folks showing up who are using un-augmented, basic HH Supershelters well below 20. Which I am sure I could never do.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    Got home early today (sometimes it's a good thing I mainly audit municipalities) and decided to eval my set up. Tested the set up the same way I had it at West Mountain with the hammock not staked out. Temp was hovering around 33*. Laid in the hammock in my work clothes and my fleece hat, no gloves, and dress socks.

Made sure the Winter Yeti was flush against the hammock and laid down with the Black Mamba Winter TQ.

Results my back was nice and warm from the Yeti. The top part of my body was also warm within 5-8 minutes as my hands warmed up nicely. Felt the inside of the bag and it was also warm.

I believe I'm just a cold sleeper. Having the TQ and UQ rated at zero makes me believe I will have a very comfy sleep down to 20 degrees. A somewhat ok sleep at 15 degrees. And a fairly annoying sleep 10 degrees and below. If I go out again going below 20 degrees I will utilize the entire GG Thinlight pad for more insulation and I will add my Mountain Hardwear Conduit Bivy to the mix to ward off the frost on the TQ from my breathing condensation and to add 5 degrees of more heat.

This will go the same for my Summer set up. My 3 season Yeti will stay until the temps hit 45 degrees then I will switch out for my Winter Yeti.

My hike was an overall success. I learned my limitations with regards to my current sleep system, what to bring next time and what to leave home, and that even though my set up didnt keep me as warm as I would have liked going down to 10 degrees still kept me alive which is what it was designed for so I have to be thankful for that! And I was still only lugging around only 25.6 lbs which is totally awesome!!!
    i'm the opposite raul...i can take a 3 season yet down to 15 degrees and i'm still warm...
    i jus got a ptarmigan from stormcrow and i was freaking HOT at the NJ hang..temp was 12 degrees ...i think i can take the ptarmigan down to -15 easy ...

i wish i could get my hands on a winter yeti to test out..maybe next year i'll get a chance
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    i'm the opposite raul...i can take a 3 season yet down to 15 degrees and i'm still warm...
    i jus got a ptarmigan from stormcrow and i was freaking HOT at the NJ hang..temp was 12 degrees ...i think i can take the ptarmigan down to -15 easy ...

i wish i could get my hands on a winter yeti to test out..maybe next year i'll get a chance
    Just curious...was that without an additional pad and what rating was your bag? Those are impressive numbers if the UQ is doing all the work.

Miguel

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Good show Mate!
    I especially like that fact that you are willing to gut it out if'n you have to, to enjoy what you want to.
    The fact that you have established that you are indeed a cold sleeper, which has borne out by follow-up testing goes to show that there really is something to this cold sleeper vs warm sleeper thing. Too many times we don't pay it the proper atention that we should.
    Once again...good show mate!
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast