Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The Swayer based permethrin has almost no smell to it. I got some Martins Permethrin from a farm supply store that has a slight petroleum smell to it that is not a bad smell and is gone after a week.

I have used both but usually use the Martins. A lot less expensive even though I have to mix it with water to get the concentration down to 0.5%.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Oh, and I use the Sawyer Picardin for a repellent with the Permethrin. The Permethrin says repellent on it but it seems more of an insect killer only to me. Idk, maybe is just me? But using them together really knocks them down pretty good. Didn't Shug do a vid on this not too long ago? I think he uses Permethrin & Picardin together too?
    It does drive insects away, but i think it's more because the bugs are trying to avoid the insecticide and not because it's offensive to them the way DEET is to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by micks View Post
    for how long does the smell last?? as long as the effect?
    For camping it pretty good once its dry. For deer hunting I air it out for 2-3 days so the deer can't smell it. The effects last 6 weeks or 6 washings like the bottle says. it starts to get a bit less effective after a few weeks, so I try to treat right before a trip. storing the clothes in a plastic bag seems to help the treatment last longer. I use the sawyer brand.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    It does drive insects away, but i think it's more because the bugs are trying to avoid the insecticide and not because it's offensive to them the way DEET is to them.

For camping it pretty good once its dry. For deer hunting I air it out for 2-3 days so the deer can't smell it. The effects last 6 weeks or 6 washings like the bottle says. it starts to get a bit less effective after a few weeks, so I try to treat right before a trip. storing the clothes in a plastic bag seems to help the treatment last longer. I use the sawyer brand.
    About storing in a plastic bag like Sawyers suggests. I stored my hammocks after treating them. When I removed the hammock's they stank. I had to wash them to get rid of the smell from the bag. So I respectfully suggest you give your prespective storage bags a sniff test before using them for your hammock storage.

Is permethrin legal to purchase in Germany? I am unable to buy Sawyer's in Canada, so I am not sure if you are able to purchase it in Germany.
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 08-19-2017 at 22:00.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird Doub 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG zero deg +4oz
    Suspension
    Webbing, Dutchware
    Greg Wheat, (Gunner76) told me that he buys it from Tractor Supply, prob 13% or more and mixes it down and uses a garden sprayer to apply it on everything using a clothes line or stringing other line around. I've done the mixing but haven't spayed it using my garden sprayer yet. My 8oz bottle from Tractor Supply made a gallon of mix with some leftover. Deff the way to go.
    For extra protection I spray my lower pants legs, gaters and shoes before a hike.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 16'
    Insulation
    Pads baby
    Suspension
    Straps and biners
    Western Michigan hiker/camper here. Was told/read this was going to be a bad year for ticks. Treated my gaiters, shoes, socks, pant legs, tarp, and hammock. Haven't seen a single tick this whole summer. I've never seen it happen but I guess the ticks drop onto treated fabrics and just die.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DBL, WBBB 1.7, Eno Double
    Tarp
    Noah 12', Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie, JRB SS
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdiver View Post
    Greg Wheat, (Gunner76) told me that he buys it from Tractor Supply, prob 13% or more and mixes it down and uses a garden sprayer to apply it on everything using a clothes line or stringing other line around. I've done the mixing but haven't spayed it using my garden sprayer yet. My 8oz bottle from Tractor Supply made a gallon of mix with some leftover. Deff the way to go.
    For extra protection I spray my lower pants legs, gaters and shoes before a hike.
    I do the same with one exception. I mix the concentration in a five gallon bucket. I dip all the gear in the mixture, wring it out, then hang it up to dry overnight. I recommend doing it a few days before the trip to give the items plenty of time to dry. Be sure to wear protective gear. Do this procedure outside or well ventilated garage!! I do not dip my down filled items

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12