Tarp
    HH Hex, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HH SS, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    various

tie-out, pull-out and door strategies

Howdy!

I have essentially used a HH Hex and a WL Tadpole as my tarps for years. The HH has nice line pockets at each tie-out, so I use them. I like shock cord on the corners as tarp tensioners. I like reflective cord on the corners, so I don't trip over them. I have a pair of TATO side pull-outs, but have honestly never used them.

Well, I just added an Old Man Winter. It has 6 side tie-outs, 4 door tie-outs, and a pair of pull-outs on each side panel. I went with a CRL with soft shackles, Dutch hook on one end and a wasp/stinger on the other. I started doing my usual routine of a loop of shock cord lark's headed onto a line-lok3, and was adding the reflective line when I wondered where it made most sense to use what type of line? I have Zing-It, Reflect-It, the inner core strands from para cord, and a ~1mm line I've seen sold as draw string cord for stuff sacks, as well as black and reflective shock cord. I also keep Dutch's number on speed-dial for more!

My thinking is that reflective cord on the 4 corners does a good job marking the perimeter of the tarp; do I really need reflective cord on the middle side tie-outs? Does it get in the way of porch mode deployment?

I don't know that I'll use the side pull-outs all that much, so was thinking about how to minimize weight there. I won't need Zing-It or Reflect-It there, so something lighter would do, right? How long do folks cut their pull-out lines? Do they extend out past the corner stakes, generally? FWIW, I built a Ray-Way tarp kit years ago, and the side pull-out used one line run between the pull-outs and a second looped to the first and run out to a stake. This seems to cause sagging between the pull-out patches on hammocks I've seen rigged this way. Thoughts? I know I'll want lines on, in case of extended inclement weather and I need the additional sheltered space.

Doors. First tarp with doors. There are a bunch of posts about using reflective shock cord on the door tie-outs, and quite a few cautioning against shock cord freezing. I had it in my head that I would hook a door to its opposite side tie-out to close - any good bling tips for this? As for deploying with the door open, I figure I just need to add some more stakes to the bag. Any tips for closing vs. deploying the doors open?

How many stakes do folks carry for their winter tarp setup? Are there any cool tricks for minimizing the number of stakes necessary?

So far I've only hung the OMW in my basement, but I can see the potential for a lot of line dangling and a pile of stakes being added. I'd like to simplify my thinking before I over-complicate my simple tarp.

Thanks!
    Thanks,
    Ranc0r

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I can't really offer any advice on where to use reflective cord or not other than to say that unless you're a tall person you're not likely to be clothes-lining yourself on the ridgeline. I know I generally have my ridgeline set a little above my height, which is 6'.

With regard to everything else, I'll just share what I use for my winter tarp that has the same number of tie-outs and panel pull-outs as your OMW. I have 4 x 6' lengths of 1.75mm Zing-It! that I keep attached to each corner. I have 2 x 4' lengths of 1.75mm Zing-It! that I keep attached to, as I'm laying in my hammock, the left side panel pulls. I don't use the panel pulls on the other side. I have 4 x 4' lengths of shock-cord w/ Dutch Door Hooks that I keep attached to the doors. I carry 2 x 6' lengths of 1.75mm Zing-It! in case I need to use the middle tie-outs, which I never have. I bring 6 x titanium shepherd hook stakes w/ 6" lengths of 1.75mm Zing-It! spliced to a Dutch Fleaz and 2 x MSR Groundhog Stakes in case of particularly hard ground.

It should be said that I don't camp in the deep cold (mid 20s F is my limit), but I've never had an issue with the shock-cord freezing. I think the folks who've had that issue were camping in deep cold. If you do camp in the deep cold you'll want to consider that as well as using different stakes to deal with a bunch of snow or frozen ground. Also, going with line smaller than 1.75mm is probably not a good idea when it's really cold. Tiny line and cold fingers makes for difficulties.

When I'm not using the doors they are clipped to they're mirror on the opposite end inside the tarp. When I'm only using one set of doors the unused doors are to clipped to the nearest panel pull-out on the outside of the tarp.

When using the panel pull-outs I attach each to it's own trekking pole then use the 2 extra 6' lengths of 1.75mm Zing-It! that I didn't use on the middle tie-outs to stake the trekking poles down.

I do something similar to the above with the 2 extra 6' lengths of 1.75mm Zing-It! and the trekking poles when I'm in porch mode.
    Last edited by Trail Runner; 08-21-2017 at 14:58.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    HH Expl Dlx, Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HH SS, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    various
    Thanks Trail Runner. That's good info.

So, why do you not need the middle side tie-out? Are you getting enough tension across the bottom of the tarp without them? Does your tarp have cat cuts? I worry that I've got a pointy flap dangling there, just waiting to catch a breeze.

You only use the side pull-outs on one side; is the other side in porch mode much of the time? No need to use both simultaneously?

No, I don't use reflect-it for ridgelines! I have one tarp that I rigged with a boating buddy, and now there's green reflect-it on one side and red on the other, so he knew which side to pass when stumbling from the fire to his own rack in the middle of the night. I just want to avoid tripping and tearing my tarp.

Anyone else care to share their line marking and door strategy? I need to go plan a trip and work the kinks out of a new tarp setup.

Thanks.
    Thanks,
    Ranc0r

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranc0r View Post
    So, why do you not need the middle side tie-out? Are you getting enough tension across the bottom of the tarp without them? Does your tarp have cat cuts? I worry that I've got a pointy flap dangling there, just waiting to catch a breeze.
    Yes, my tarp has cat-cuts but it is from corner to corner, not corners to middle tie-out. I can get my tarp plenty taut just using the corner tie-outs. If your OMW is cat-cut from corners to middle tie-out you'll probably have a pointy flap dangling but you should still be able to get it taut just using the corners. Take that with a grain of salt though as it is just a guess.

You only use the side pull-outs on one side; is the other side in porch mode much of the time? No need to use both simultaneously?
    No need to use both simultaneously. I enter and exit the hammock on the left side so that's the only side I need the extra space. And when I'm in porch mode I don't use the pull-outs on the other side at all.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I had it in my head that I would hook a door to its opposite side tie-out to close - any good bling tips for this? As for deploying with the door open, I figure I just need to add some more stakes to the bag. Any tips for closing vs. deploying the doors open?
    I recommend the plastic shock cord hooks Dutch sells. They work great for connecting each door to its opposite side tie-out. To open the doors you can connect the hooks to each other on the inside of the tarp as Trail Runner said. Doesn't get much easier than that.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jcksparow View Post
    I recommend the plastic shock cord hooks Dutch sells. They work great for connecting each door to its opposite side tie-out. To open the doors you can connect the hooks to each other on the inside of the tarp as Trail Runner said. Doesn't get much easier than that.
    Yep, Dutch's Tarp Door Hooks..
    https://dutchwaregear.com/tarp-door-hook.html

When I have mine "open"....I actually hook them inside the tarp. My thinking is just that I can close them when it is raining, and not have to go much* out from under the tarp. I have my line-locks, attached at the tarp tie-out corners also so I can adjust tension while under the tarp.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    HH Expl Dlx, Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HH SS, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    various
    Yes, I like Dutch's tarp door hook description, these are the hooks that used to bully mitten hooks on the playground.

Will a std. Ti shepherd's hook stake fit through the door hook? If not, then I'd imagine I need to tie a loop in the shock cord to fit a stake for the deployed-but-vented door arrangement.

Do folks generally find that they can get away with shorter tie-out lines with their winter tarp? It would make sense that one would deploy it closer to the ground to cut down on the breeze.
    Thanks,
    Ranc0r

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0 Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    HG Cuben / Wasps
    Insulation
    HG and UGQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Yep, Dutch's Tarp Door Hooks..
    https://dutchwaregear.com/tarp-door-hook.html

When I have mine "open"....I actually hook them inside the tarp. My thinking is just that I can close them when it is raining, and not have to go much* out from under the tarp. I have my line-locks, attached at the tarp tie-out corners also so I can adjust tension while under the tarp.
    Hope I am not Thread Jacking, but what method did you choose to attach the Lineloc's to your Tarp D-ring? I am looking for the cleanest method that stays on nice but is light as possible.

Thanks

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CBX133 View Post
    Hope I am not Thread Jacking, but what method did you choose to attach the Lineloc's to your Tarp D-ring? I am looking for the cleanest method that stays on nice but is light as possible.

Thanks
    I small piece of like 1.1 line, tied in a loop thru the hole in the line-lock, using two Fisherman's knots. Then, just loop it onto the d-ring/triangle thing at the tarp edge. The tie out line then has a loop in the FAR end, which will go around a stake. I forget how much line I have on each, Zing-it line. So the Line-Lock is just inches from the tarp edge. so I tighten the tarp from under the tarp in wet weather.

And, I've also just done it with a longer line of zing-it, and a Prussik adjustable knot at the Tarp tie out. The long tie out line, then can be adjusted just pulling it in and out of the prussik, which is also right up next to the tarp tie out.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Here is a video that I have posted before, showing my Tarp and door set up. I love the versatility of it and the number of options that it offers. Hope it helps.

"gbolt" on the Trail
    We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!
    YouTubeChannel. [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA]

• + New Posts