Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chjohans View Post
    A bit on the expensive side
    They don't offer water resistant down.
    Actually all of our down at LLG is water resistant down. As far as price, you are comparing our premium quilt line vs others that in some cases are not that company's premium offering.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream
    Insulation
    Nunatak Arc UL
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    Actually all of our down at LLG is water resistant down. As far as price, you are comparing our premium quilt line vs others that in some cases are not that company's premium offering.
    Thanks for pointing that out. My mistake, I will correct that in my initial post.

Yes I'm aware of premium vs non-premium, but I chose models that seems to fit my requirements independent of price. The only non-premium model on my list wold be the Burrows Econ, and possibly the Bandit in its base configuration.

The Ghost Pepper is indeed very interesting, I've the LL contact address for some info regarding sizing.

Thanks again for your input.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Enigma or Revelation by Enlightened Equipment is my pick. Love mine. Go for X-Wide, Long since you toss 'n turn on the ground too.

The down doesn't migrate off you so it keeps ya toasty

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    I don't think you can really go wrong with any vendor. It seems that everyone who has a single brand of quilt loves them and I count myself among them. I love my LLG ghost pepper... mostly. I'm 6'2", I got the regular length. I should have gotten the 80". I got the regular width but I don't sleep on the ground and the width has been more than sufficient. In most cases you don't really tuck a TQ ALL the way around you, but I suppose side sleeping on the ground could be an exception. I ordered the cinch foot box in a 20* quilt. That was, for lack of a better word, dumb. It gets a little chilly when it gets down that low without plugging. For something with that rating I suggest a sewn footbox. I think maybe 30* quilt and up would be alright for a cinch end. You think you'll use it as a blanket hanging around in camp, but you probably won't. I never have, neither has my wife. I've used my LLG 20* ghost pepper up to 70 or so degrees (without underquilt) and no venting. It breathes exceedingly well. I've also used it down to 19 and been more or less comfy. I did stuff a sock in the hole, though. LLG don't make no cold quilts. You can't beat the customer service that George provides, but I hear that about every other cottage vendor. I'm sure everyone else has their opinion, and they are likely absolutely right, too. Just thought I would share my experience. It's always a tough call, so good luck!
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream
    Insulation
    Nunatak Arc UL
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    Enigma or Revelation by Enlightened Equipment is my pick. Love mine. Go for X-Wide, Long since you toss 'n turn on the ground too.

The down doesn't migrate off you so it keeps ya toasty
    Thanks for the suggestion. I did consider the EE Revelation but it seems like the has sewn through baffles and that made me drop it. This saves weight but also possibly creates cold spots in cold weather. Checked their website again but can't find any info regarding their baffles. Can you confirm th at they are sewn through as opposed to boxed? From looking at pictures it's hard to tell for sure, but a couple of reviews I read claimed they were sewn through.

Their sizes, weight and features other than that seems great, and I like their U shaped baffle design.

But sewn through baffles are a no go for me as I will be using my quilt in pretty cold weather. Reviews of the a revelation also point out that they are nowhere close to comfortable at the stated temperature rating.

When I compare with other manufacturers it seems like EE is using less down than some of their competitors for the same temperature ratings. I just did a quick comparison and a similar sized and 20 F rated Revelation filled with 850DD uses about 1.5oz less down than a similar sized Bandit quilt (picked that randomly to compare) filled with the same down. In percentage it comes to over 10% less down.

So quite frankly I don't trust their temp ratings after comparing. The weight sawing must come from something and I don't want it to come from less down and sewn through baffles.

This might work very well for some, but I don't think it will work for me.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by chjohans View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I did consider the EE Revelation but it seems like the has sewn through baffles and that made me drop it. This saves weight but also possibly creates cold spots in cold weather. Checked their website again but can't find any info regarding their baffles. Can you confirm th at they are sewn through as opposed to boxed? From looking at pictures it's hard to tell for sure, but a couple of reviews I read claimed they were sewn through.

Their sizes, weight and features other than that seems great, and I like their U shaped baffle design.

But sewn through baffles are a no go for me as I will be using my quilt in pretty cold weather. Reviews of the a revelation also point out that they are nowhere close to comfortable at the stated temperature rating.

When I compare with other manufacturers it seems like EE is using less down than some of their competitors for the same temperature ratings. I just did a quick comparison and a similar sized and 20 F rated Revelation filled with 850DD uses about 1.5oz less down than a similar sized Bandit quilt (picked that randomly to compare) filled with the same down. In percentage it comes to over 10% less down.

So quite frankly I don't trust their temp ratings after comparing. The weight sawing must come from something and I don't want it to come from less down and sewn through baffles.

This might work very well for some, but I don't think it will work for me.
    You keep saying that about the baffles, but it's not true. EE quilts are quite warm. Not sure where you're reading https://support.enlightenedequipment...5766447-Design

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream
    Insulation
    Nunatak Arc UL
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    You keep saying that about the baffles, but it's not true. EE quilts are quite warm. Not sure where you're reading https://support.enlightenedequipment...5766447-Design
    I stand corrected, they indeed seem to be using box baffles.

They do use less down than the competitors I checked though, but that can be easily fixed with a bit of overkill.

I'll certainly look some more at the Revelation then, thanks!

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Loco Libre FTW. I'm slowly moving toward all LLG quilt sets. I just really appreciate the chevron baffles. Not only stylish, but very functional. I also like having more options to customize his quilts right on the order page as opposed to having to email requests separately as other vendors require.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream
    Insulation
    Nunatak Arc UL
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I'll offer this up.....
    Shug

Thanks shug. Your videos are always informative, and they're great fun to watch as well.

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    My LL Ghost Pepper is enroute. I originally really wanted one, then I saw the turnaround and backed away, then they had a sale and it was spring and I wanted a 0 degree anyways, so I figured it was worth the wait. I DID get the cinch/snap end for versatility and for airing it out, but I am hoping that wasn't a mistake. I can always make or buy a plug for the end that might leak cold air. I'm not worried about it. I saw Flash Grundelore's LL TQ at the spring NEHHA hang and it was beautiful. That helped my decision. Good luck!!
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast