DIY ACU Camo
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I did this but not sure how good it would be for a windy rain. I used 2 sets of hiking poles. It's a Superfly.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    I'm a giant at 5'4", though I still feel your pain.

Well, I made my tarp specifically with double hanging in mind, so the pull outs are shifted toward the head end a bit. You can always add another pair yourself or get someone else to do it for you.

In any case, use dogbones just long enough to move the bar outside the tarp. The cords may still contact the tarp, but at least the bar ends won't poke a hole. For those times when you HAVE to have the bar inside (trees too close), make yourself some bar end tarp protectors out of 1/2" pipe insulation. I have a thread around here somewhere with photos, but it's simple enough to figure out on your own.

There are a couple of things I do to make spreader bar life more pleasant. I keep a small pc of gorilla tape stuck the each half of the bar so that I can stick one on the joint once the bar is assembled. Two because one will get lost and or become unsticky at some point. You'll find out why when it gets really windy and the hammocks aren't weighted down or staked. For the same reason, I make a shock cord dogbone to stretch across the bar to help keep it from popping out of the mount holes in the suspension. Alternatively you could use short pieces of rubber hose on the pins, but I haven't tried that yet.

The dogbones used here are way too long for this, but it's what I had on hand at the time. This is a 12x14 SLD Winter Haven which I modded with three internal poles.

I know I have photos of my DIY tarp around here somewhere, from last years fall MAHHA. I'll see if I can scare 'em up for ya if ya want.

EDIT> Forgot to point out that the longer the dogbones used to move the spreader outside, the closer the hammocks will converge.

If you can, buy an extra one or two female bar sections so that you can experiment with different lengths. Commons sense would indicate that the shorter it is the less likely it will be to damage the tarp if it's inside. Find the minimum length that YOU'RE comfortable with. For us, it's about 30", we kinda like each other anyway.
    I love the dogbones suggestion! That made me think of maybe putting a whoopie on the head end of each hammock to use instead of the continuous loops. But, dogbones would be simpler the more I think on it,because the ideal length between the spreader bar and the head end of the hammock should remain constant from hang to hang. I'm thinking I could sacrifice two tennis balls to make end cap protectors to buffer the tarp from the spreader bar tips and the Beatle Buckles.

Quote Originally Posted by thekid View Post
    I did this but not sure how good it would be for a windy rain. I used 2 sets of hiking poles. It's a Superfly.
    That looks cool! I can't wait to try it! And if a windy rain did threaten to appear, I could always drop the sides lower until it passed, then prop them back up again later!

Dutch sells xenon wide fabric which can make a monster size tarp, twelve feet wide with an eleven, twelve or thirteen foot ridge line that I imagine would cover two hammocks even in a wind driven rain. If you are not the DIY type there are vendors like Jared at Simply Light Designs that can make a tarp using the Xenon Wide fabric.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuban Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incub./Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Dutch, I think a lot of us would love an all-condition tarp designed to work with Chameleons hung side by side. I have the same problem as people above trying to make my HG Cuben Palace work in this configuration. A wide tarp with internal pole mods, sides that could reach the ground, and doors would be awesome. I think I remember you saying you were working on one. I'll check back in a couple weeks...

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Basecamp View Post
    Dutch sells xenon wide fabric which can make a monster size tarp, twelve feet wide with an eleven, twelve or thirteen foot ridge line that I imagine would cover two hammocks even in a wind driven rain. If you are not the DIY type there are vendors like Jared at Simply Light Designs that can make a tarp using the Xenon Wide fabric.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    That's a good idea. I love Jared's workmanship!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaChad View Post
    Dutch, I think a lot of us would love an all-condition tarp designed to work with Chameleons hung side by side. I have the same problem as people above trying to make my HG Cuben Palace work in this configuration. A wide tarp with internal pole mods, sides that could reach the ground, and doors would be awesome. I think I remember you saying you were working on one. I'll check back in a couple weeks...
    +1! I'll check back in two weeks too, LOL!

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaChad View Post
    You mean like this?

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuban Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incub./Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle

Best tarp for side by side hammocks?

You mean like this?

That's pretty awesome! Yup, that would fit the bill, is it a custom job?

Edit: I guess the title of the clip makes it obvious...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dream Hammock is listing the UGQ Hanger 12 Hex for $135. We used Dutch's Hex on our last outing and even though there was...oh, maybe 4-6" exposed, we stayed dry. The extra foot of ridgeline on the Hanger ought to be perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Paul at Underground Quilts is making XL tarps now. That would fit the bill.

David

http://ugqoutdoor.com/tarps/xl-silpoly-tarps/

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    You mean like this?

greetings, what poles do you have on the inside of that setup?
    Honor guide me

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast