Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I got them from questoutfiiters. They're .344 aluminum. Since this tarp will only be used for car camping, I used the longer sections for most of the outer poles, 26" as I recall. However, the center pole is made of mostly 13" sections I had on hand.

I'll have it at the LLG hang.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    I got them from questoutfiiters. They're .344 aluminum. Since this tarp will only be used for car camping, I used the longer sections for most of the outer poles, 26" as I recall. However, the center pole is made of mostly 13" sections I had on hand.

Or you could get them from Dutchware Gear.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12x12
    Insulation
    PLUQ Underquilt
    Suspension
    DutchBeetle/Straps
    I use a Kelty Noah 12 for my double-Chameleon setup: Kelty Noah's Tarp 12 - 2013 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009R9FUI2..._Vxh84hPQHAl2X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “I'm an adventurer, looking for treasure.” ― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

I use the WL Old Man Winter which works okay, but I'm waiting for Dutch to come out with a purpose built tarp for the double Chameleon setup.

Quote Originally Posted by dghboy315 View Post
    I use the WL Old Man Winter which works okay, but I'm waiting for Dutch to come out with a purpose built tarp for the double Chameleon setup.
    Dutch should have that new tarp ready to ship in two weeks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG/EE
    Quote Originally Posted by Basecamp View Post
    Dutch should have that new tarp ready to ship in two weeks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    I'll be on the lookout for that. I just used the spreader bar for a double half-wit (whole-wit?) set up over the weekend, and we made due with my standard 11' HG cuben tarp by pitching the doors straight out instead of closed. Worked fine, but we had no rain, etc. I think a wind-driven rain would be problematic.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    You mean like this?

Very nice! What material?
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    It's Xenon 1.1. My DIY 12x10 is also xenon 1.1.

BTW, I neglected to mention that my center pole is made up of 13" sections from Dutchware. I only used 26" because I knew there was no way I'd be backpacking this thing. To be honest though, I don't think the longer sections make any difference in terms of convenience, or any other terms for that matter.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

So three, .344 poles? What are the lengths ?
    Honor guide me

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Yes.

I believe the center pole is a couple of inches longer than the width of the tarp. The two end poles are longer yet because they lean in a few degrees toward the center. I started out with them on the long side and trimmed them down an inch or so at a time until I got what I wanted.

I don't think I ever measured the final length because I had no need to know. For reference, I just measured the poles, including the tips. The center is almost exactly 14'. End poles are 14' 9". I'll have to measure the tarp width later, beastie to beastie.

I'd highly recommend getting a few extra sections to have handy in case of an oops while determining the optimum lengths for your tarp. Keep in mind that there's the possibility of splitting a pole end or two till you get the length correct. I figured it was better to initially spend a few extra dollars to have them in hand rather than wait a week or so for replacement, and the additional shipping charges.

Most folks don't use three poles as it's not really necessary, but knowing this was for car camping only I decided to go for it. For THIS tarp I have to say I like it.

(Note: I use an external CRL so I'll use the term "ridge cord" here to differentiate.) At first I used an internal ridge cord that just went between tie-outs in conjunction with prusik's to hold the poles into position. A lot of folks do this, however in this case with the poles being so long they have a tendency to twist and don't like to stay in position. Once I determined the lengths of all the poles along with the angle of the end poles, I decided that I would sew some ribbon to the tarp at the ridge as well as the side seams. As much as I hate velcro, I recently used the non aggressive double sided stuff instead of ribbons. This decision had much to do with my lousy shoulders and difficulty reaching up to tie overhead. Of course they were seam sealed afterward. The velcro appears to work well for me and having it in three places for each pole positively holds them in the correct position. It is soooo much easier to setup than with the goofy internal ridge cord. However, I haven't spent any nights under this tarp since this addition. We're planning to tryout the double dutch setup tonight in the back yard, so will probably set up this tarp as well.

At first I was going to use pole pockets, but then I read that 1/2" beastie dees worked well for this. I made a couple of pocket variations and quickly determined that they're a PITA to sew up. I then got the beasties to tinker with. Not only are they sooo much easier to install than pockets, I came to the conclusion they may be better for the tarp in the long run. When inserting the poles, I put one end in first, then flex the pole as it lays flat on the ground, inserting the opposite end, then stand them up. This process is simply reversed for take-down. I feel that the beasties on grosgrain loops are free to twist in any direction as needed thus placing far less stress on the tarp fabric during setup/take-down. I don't know that it actually makes any significant difference, but it seems logical to me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast