WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

DIY Dutchware Wide Asym Tarp...!?

Well I was all excited to finally finish my Dutchware "Wide Asym Tarp" and disappointed all at the same time....

First let me say that the kit is great!! It has everything you need to make a fantastic tarp. And you can't beat the price!

I followed the instructions on the web site to the letter. Everything worked out just fine and it looks great! My disappointment came after putting my WBXLC under it and only then realizing it will not work with the lay of the hammock (without getting wet). I did not know that it is a head right feet left lay tarp. I know Dutch states in his video that you can invert the tarp if you lay the other way. The only issue with that is the hems will collect a lot of water possibly. I know, I know, it is my own fault... I was so excited to be doing a larger DIY project that I did not think the whole process or layout through. Had I placed the tie outs opposite of the web site diagram shows I would be very happy with the results! I am only posting this so that others may learn from my mistake and not have to invert the tarp if they make their own.

Anyway, now I have to go order another one so I can make it to work with the WBXLC. (head left-feet right) I am sure the next one I make will be even better!

20170828_204754.jpg20170828_204817.jpg20170828_205043.jpg
    Best Regards,
    Brad

Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Don't feel bad, I got my lay direction right (I'm either truthfully) but my thread work is horrid. I just got some fabric, when Dutch had his sale, to do one for my son (no lay direction, he's 4) so I'm hoping to pretty it up with his. Your tarp looks really good, you may try to throw it on the for sale block to help balance the cost.

FWIW I have used mine in both directions and other then cosmetics I don't believe you will hurt a thing. Great job finishing it out.
    Where the trail ends the adventure begins!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger3 View Post
    Well I was all excited to finally finish my Dutchware "Wide Asym Tarp" and disappointed all at the same time....

First let me say that the kit is great!! It has everything you need to make a fantastic tarp. And you can't beat the price!

I followed the instructions on the web site to the letter. Everything worked out just fine and it looks great! My disappointment came after putting my WBXLC under it and only then realizing it will not work with the lay of the hammock (without getting wet). I did not know that it is a head right feet left lay tarp. I know Dutch states in his video that you can invert the tarp if you lay the other way. The only issue with that is the hems will collect a lot of water possibly. I know, I know, it is my own fault... I was so excited to be doing a larger DIY project that I did not think the whole process or layout through. Had I placed the tie outs opposite of the web site diagram shows I would be very happy with the results! I am only posting this so that others may learn from my mistake and not have to invert the tarp if they make their own.

Anyway, now I have to go order another one so I can make it to work with the WBXLC. (head left-feet right) I am sure the next one I make will be even better!

20170828_204754.jpg20170828_204817.jpg20170828_205043.jpg

Can't you just add another ridge tie-out point? It won't be perfect, but it sure beats making a new tarp and you'll have the versatility of either lay...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Troll View Post
    Don't feel bad, I got my lay direction right (I'm either truthfully) but my thread work is horrid. I just got some fabric, when Dutch had his sale, to do one for my son (no lay direction, he's 4) so I'm hoping to pretty it up with his. Your tarp looks really good, you may try to throw it on the for sale block to help balance the cost.

FWIW I have used mine in both directions and other then cosmetics I don't believe you will hurt a thing. Great job finishing it out.
    Thanks for the kind words! It was fun to do. I will use it inverted/reversed for now. You may be right. I flipped it and did not see much difference except that the seam side was up. Not a big deal for sure. I will keep it for now as I plan on making an ambidextrous hammock one of these days.
    I already have another tarp in my shopping cart!
    Best Regards,
    Brad

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Can't you just add another ridge tie-out point? It won't be perfect, but it sure beats making a new tarp and you'll have the versatility of either lay...
    I have been pondering that... It may very well be an option. I may just make a hammock instead. Not sure yet.
    Best Regards,
    Brad

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    When I made mine, I added tie outs so I could use it with either lay. I also added tie outs in the middle so I could use it in a symmetrical configuration. I have used it that way, and it gives surprisingly good coverage. Probably not so good in heavy rain and wind, but it would probably be fine in light rain.

mathineer

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    i was gonna say

just add some more tie outs, and problem solved

You should consider doing the winter tarp that is the one I did for my WBXLC I couldn't be happier with mine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by mathineer View Post
    When I made mine, I added tie outs so I could use it with either lay. I also added tie outs in the middle so I could use it in a symmetrical configuration. I have used it that way, and it gives surprisingly good coverage. Probably not so good in heavy rain and wind, but it would probably be fine in light rain.

mathineer
    Thanks, I will probably do that! I am still going to make another and another hammock as well. Man this DIY stuff is habit forming.....
    Best Regards,
    Brad

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    i was gonna say