Thread: BMBH failure

BMBH failure

Just want to relate a quick story. Been using the bridge hammock for 20 nights or so over the spring and summer with a thermarest camp pad in bottom. I use a 5 lb sleeping bag with it and i weigh 185 lbs. I would like to say that the hammock gives a great night sleep and is quite east to set up with a jrb tarp over it. Well, one night at 2 a.m. i awoke in a heavy downpour and I thrashed around abit to pull the sleeping bag into order and the next thing i knew is i was on the ground. Didn't get hurt but having to pack it all up in the rain was no fun. I have found that when I use a sleeping bag i have to thrash around alot to get it zippered up and positioned properly for sleeping. This evidently really stresses the stitching on the straps where the support bars hook into the metal rings. Where the straps are sewn together with the hammock corners is where it let go. I sent it back to JRB and they appologized for the problem and the quickly repaired the hammock and sent it back with the statement that this would not happen to me again. No cost to me at all. I guess what i would like to say is that I will now only use a bottom and top quilt now so that I minimize my thrashing. I will also closely inspect all the stitching at critical areas before using it. I do love the hammock though and will continue to hang it. Good hanging all. jim

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Wow, that must have been a shocker!
    From all I've heard about the Jacks though, sounds like they really take care of their customers.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I had a failure at the same spot in a DIY bridge. It went down when my dad was trying it for the first time. Pretty embarrassing. What's worse is that there's no one to send a homemade hammock to for a repair - I had to swallow my pride and beef up the spreader pockets.

I'm glad you weren't hurt and I'm not surprised you had a good customer service experience with the Jacks.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    BB,HH, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    MacCat, JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB underquilt
    Images
    lemaddoc:

Thanks for the report ... glad you are alright.

I'm in the process of making another DIY Bridge ... now, I plan on using a few more ounce to back-up the hammock corners.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by lemaddoc View Post
    Just want to relate a quick story. Been using the bridge hammock for 20 nights or so over the spring and summer with a thermarest camp pad in bottom. I use a 5 lb sleeping bag with it and i weigh 185 lbs. I would like to say that the hammock gives a great night sleep and is quite east to set up with a jrb tarp over it. Well, one night at 2 a.m. i awoke in a heavy downpour and I thrashed around abit to pull the sleeping bag into order and the next thing i knew is i was on the ground. Didn't get hurt but having to pack it all up in the rain was no fun. I have found that when I use a sleeping bag i have to thrash around alot to get it zippered up and positioned properly for sleeping. This evidently really stresses the stitching on the straps where the support bars hook into the metal rings. Where the straps are sewn together with the hammock corners is where it let go. I sent it back to JRB and they appologized for the problem and the quickly repaired the hammock and sent it back with the statement that this would not happen to me again. No cost to me at all. I guess what i would like to say is that I will now only use a bottom and top quilt now so that I minimize my thrashing. I will also closely inspect all the stitching at critical areas before using it. I do love the hammock though and will continue to hang it. Good hanging all. jim
    Do you have any pics of the corner that failed? I have been monitoring what I think is an overstressed corner in my BMBH. I would like to catch it before it fails.

I dont have any pics but what failed was the stitching came apart. jim

• + New Posts