Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Quilt Length and Temp Rating?

I've been on the fence about buy an underquilt for some time now but I think I'm ready to switch over from using a pad. I really like the UGQ Zeppelin but I have a couple questions I'm hoping some seasoned vets can help me out with here I'd be using it for 3 season camping here in Ontario (early spring to late November)...Oh and I'm using it with an ENO Doublenest....

1. What temp rating would you suggest? I'm leaning towards the 20 degree. I can vent it in the summer and it should suffice for those late November Algonquin trips.
    2. What length would you suggest? I don't care about weight or bulk so I'm opting for the 77" or 83". Any recommendations as to which?
    3. Seeing as though I have an ENO Doublenest, would an underquilt be a pain in any way due to the added width of the ENO?

Thanks guys!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Typically we recommend a quilt 10* colder than the coldest average season you plan to use it in. Considering your location either a 20*F(-6*C) or a 10*F(-12*C) would be recommended. Either will work in much warmer weather simply by venting the head end of the quilt under your shoulders.

Length is simply a result of how much coverage you want, for most folks looking for full coverage the 77L is recommended. If you are over 6'2" (188cm) you may want to consider the 83L. If you are OK with partial coverage either the 55L or 66L would work depending on your goals. You would need to address supplemental insulation for your legs/head with a shorter quilt.

Plenty of folks use under quilts with Doublenests and several other hammock companies offer 72" wide hammocks. The UQ is intended to cover the user and not the hammock, it will conform to your lay in the hammock.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Thanks Paul that is super helpful info!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Sorry Paul one quick follow up question...Since the temps do dip down to -5 to -10 late November here and I do sleep cold, would there be any adverse reason not to just get the 0/-18 underquilt? Do they get harder to vent in the summer if you get a warmer quilt? I don't want to sweat like crazy when I do use it in the summer.

Also, what are your thoughts in regards to an underquilt protector? I've heard they add a few degrees warmth. Do folks use those in the summer just by themselves without the actual quilt?

Sorry for the noob questions!

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I sleep cold as well so I just make the UQ a bit looser when it's warmer to help with venting. Eventually I'll get a lighter UQ for warmer months. The only disadvantage of using a low temp UQ is that it's generally more expensive and bulkier. You can always make a warmer UQ cooler but you can't make a cooler UQ warmer.

If you only buy one, either get the one for the lowest temp you'll experience or buy one for the temps you'll encounter most often and supplement with a pad (for example).

Obviously, if you get sucked into the ham mocking black hole, you'll eventually get several -- one for each temperature. Yeah, I'm on that path now.

• + New Posts